Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sqealing Noise

KevSull Too

My car is making a horrid squealing noise when warm, sound just like a slipping fanbelt. While trying to track this down, I've discovered that it only happens when I'm pressing the clutch pedal??

It's recently picked up a nast vibration to accompany the squeal, and sounds like something is about to fail.

I've heared about noisy thrust bearings, but doesn't that noise usually stop when you depress the clutch? I'm a bit confused as to why it happens with my foot on the clutch, I'd expect it to be the other way around if it was a gearbox problem...

HELP!

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

You clutch is not disengaging fully when you depress the pedal, thus squealing as the friction surface is rubbed. This is either because you have a badly adjusted clutch - you need to make the bite point further from the "pedal fully up" postion. (Have never adjusted this on 7, not sure if it is possible). Or your clutch is slipping as the friction surface is worn away/out. The latter could also be caused by the former...

Do you also get the nasty squealing if you accelerate hard?

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN

No, there's no clutch slip when accelerating under load, and the car seems to be running very well despite this (was pushed hard around Silverstone on Sat, with no noise whatsoever). It happens when the car's warm, but not necessarily driven hard or with a lot of clutch work.

What woudl the expected lifespan for a SL clutch be? I've just hit 9000 miles.

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Edited by - KevSull on 3 Mar 2003 17:40:56

Perhaps the vibration is clutch judder - caused by a very slightly off-centre clutch?

Depending extent of the wear on the clutch you may find there's no perceptible loss in performance, or slipping clutch when pushing it hard, the squealing may be just the first sign...

If the noise comes and goes with the clutch position I still think it has to be one of the things mentioned above.

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN

I guess this is an engine out job? Or will I get away with dropping the gearbox from below?

Anyone know how much of a job this is, and would I be better off getting a garage to sort this?

Kev

if you can wait a week we can do it with the hoist in my garage (mines waiting for the engine to come back!, can't drop the gearbox so if it is the thrust bearing it will be an engine out job. I doubt the plate is worn after 9k miles but if it is I have a new AP uprated one here which I think is std fit on the Superlights

You'll need to get the bearing from Caterham and may need to buy some fluids/ filter

Mark

Mark

Mark, that's fantastic! Much appreciated. I'm away next week anyway, so at your convienience really (will evenings be a problem?). I don't mind what timescale, but I'm booked on the Llandow trackday on 29th March.

I've got kit for an oil change and 5l of coolant ready to do before the trackday, will this be enough coolant? I was also thinking of changing the gearbox oil, so this may be the perfect opportunity. What oil would you recommend, and what quantity will I need?

Once again, very much appreciated.

Kev.

Kev,

Have you adjusted the clutch? Is worth giving it some more travel before you engine out?

I have some homemade tools for doing it in the tight space the K (well Jason's at anyrate)

affords. You can see them on Jason's website.

You are welcome to pop by for a twirl if you like.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Steve, sounds like a very good idea, would be a shame to get the engine out for no reason *smile*

Are you around this evening? If so could you drop me an email with your address to kevins3@hotmail.com

Cheers.

Kev

5 litres will be fine from memory, if not I have some here.

For 6 speed gearbox get 2 Quarts (US size!) of Redline MTL from Demon Tweeks or Road and Race transmissions, might even be worth trying Autocross in Binfield

Steve is right though it may just need adjustment so well worth trying that first, if not an evening would be fine and if we can;t complete it it can stay in the garage for a night or two

Mark

Kev,

I would be very surprised if it is the clutch driven plate wearing out. I have never known one to squeal when the friction surface is being rubbed as Charlie has suggested, unless it is worn right down to the rivets, and beyond.

If that were the case, it would do it every time you engage the clutch from rest, hot or cold, and you would very definitely know it is slipping!

I think it is far more likely to be the clutch release bearing that is knackered which, as other threads have suggested, is not uncommon on the K series I believe.

The bad news is that this is an engine out job, but easy to change nonetheless.

Brent

7 not now in so many bits 😬