Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Securing nose cone?

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

My 1999 SLR has both the upper and lower Dzus fasteners for securing the nose cone, however the original carbon nose from 1999 is of the older type prior to being made deeper to cover the post-96 suspension mounting points.

I've now acquired a later (deeper) o/e nose cone (2002-ish) but it doesn't have any fastener mounting points at the bottom. I know in the past there's been plenty of comments about the lower fasteners not being needed, but it's definitely not very secure without them and likely to take plenty of paint off due to movement. The bottom lip of the nose sits quite a bit lower than the old one so trying to go with the old arrangement probably isn't going to be a good solution.

Has anyone come up with a suitable alternative way of securing the nose? Unlike my original nose which had plain edges, this one has a full 90 deg "return lip" where it meets the chassis between the radiator bobbins, there's 2 holes each side in the lip which has made me question whether the holes are intended to be used to secure the nose in some way.

Anyone got a similar nose cone?

Stu.

I've used the same fittings as on the front of the engine cover. One spring type fitting in the centre. Works very well and negates the need to scrabble infer the suspension to release dzus fittings

• Leadership Team

Hi David, I've seen that type. This one's a little different in that the lower front edge doesn't actually make contact with anything which is why I'm wondering whether there was an intention that the side verticals are the attachment points. 

Roger I'll look at whether a spring assembly might work although I suspect it'll just flex the nose because the bottom edge isn't resting against anything, it would reduce movement though.

Stu.