Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ZZS Tyre Pressures....

Speedtrip

I'm finding the ride very hard and jittery in my 360R. The cars currently only being used on the road. I appreciate I probably need to get it flat-floored to to make the most of it but I'm wondering if lower tyre pressures might help in the short term. Currently running 21psi cold which seems to give around 22psi after a run on 6"/8" Apollos.

Any suggestions?

You could certainly come down 3 or 4 pounds but I doubt that will have a transformative effect on the ride.   Likewise flat flooring probably won’t make a vast difference on the road, unless of course the settings are badly out at present.   You might, however, like the noticeably more compliant ride you’d get from a slightly taller profile tyre, eg the Toyo R888R.

Based on a bit of personal experience I have a gut feeling that the ZZR and possibly the ZZS tyres have stiffer sidewalls than others such as the ( old ) CR500 .

Personally i prefer the steering feel this provides but there is possibly a price to pay in comfort .That said a Caterham will never ride like a Roller .

Thanks guys. I'll give lower pressures a go and see how she feels.

I guess long term different springs and dampers may be the best option. Something more touring oriented but still with track ability would good (I really need to take the plunge and do my first track day!)

21 cold seems too high to me, maybe 17 or 18 but use that as a starting point and experiment yourself. Once you’re happy use that all the time, always measure with the same gauge too since I doubt every one is made equal.

ZZx tyres are bumpy on road, for a more complaint experience, move back to CR500 just like I did.

Julian

After reading a post on this topic I tried 24psi hot at Blyton and found myself going backwards on a couple  of occasions. Dropped back to 18psi for the remainder of the day without any further problems.  I'm now running 18psi cold on the road and 18psi hot at Caldwell on Tuesday where the car felt great.

• 3 weeks later...

My 1400 SS is very 'bumpy' and uncomfortable. Happened twice and it was the rear damper. One time it was seized, the second time no damping resistance.

Next problem is seeing who has one in stock.

Mike