Click here if you are having website access problems ×

After a better alternative to Caterham's sidescreen mirror (SV)

L777JDP

Basically I've pulled the arm in so it is closer to vertical, and having positioned the mirrors correctly tightened them in place, but still find the vibration at speed irritating.

My feeling is that something more aerodynamic, like a bullet design, which does not have a long flexible arm with a spring hinge at one end of it would be better, and acceptably better I hope. I don't want to fit mirrors permanently onto the windscreen stanchion if it can be avoided.

What I want is to reuse the 105mm spaced holes in the sidescreen ideally, and a black mirror.

Not having been successful with that search my second thought, was to see if I could find any mirror mounting that utilized the sidescreen hinges on the sidescreen side, for example instead of having two small hinges, have a continuous bar forming both top and bottom hinges to which a stanchion type mirror could be fitted.

I've also drawn a blank on that, although it seems like is should be an obvious improvement maybe its been tried, found not to work well and been abandoned.

I'm now wondering if mirrors that clamp to the windscreen might be a better way to go. I apologize in advance for what must be a very dull and repetitive topic, but most vexing. Indeed Caterham's rear view mirror droops in warm weather, which has perhaps only increased my annoyance with the sidescreen mirrors. 

There are lots of posts on here regarding mirrors which I've found and read, most of which point to a stanchion mounted solution as the way to go. However, I thought I would see if anyone has come up with a neat along the lines of the above, on concluded that it is futile. 

My sidescreen mirrors don't seem to vibrate. I have the smaller carbon fibre mirrors. You can't see behind you well enough with them as they are, so I glued a larger convex mirror to them and it seems to work fine.