Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo calibration

babymerc

Hi all,

Hope someone can help. I need to recalibrate my Speedo but unsure of the calc formula. The car is 2015 with the 43 tooth ring, tyres are toyo r88r  185/60/14 with a rolling circumference of 71 1/4 inches. If anyone can help.

• Is that electronic off a wheel?
  • Caerbont or Stack or some other instrument?
  • Calibration by button on the front or switches on the back?

And what factor does it want as an input?

This might be the most useful single thread. Full search of the archives.

How about doing it with GPS instead, eg using a smart 'phone? Find a road where you can run at steady speed... compare the indicated speed and the GPS speed, tweak the calibration, and repeat... 

Jonathan

The first thread linked from #2 has a link to the Caerbont instructions. They tell you how to get the "Calibration Number" in pulses per mile. And also how to "Drive to Set" using a measured mile, which is a lot more awkward than using GPS!

Jonathan

Am I right in thinking it's 63360 ÷ 71 1/4 x 43 = 37840 or is this complete rubbish

No, that's exactly how to do it. Be sure to include a leading zero when you enter the (six-digit) code.

Here's a table with the codes for some of the more common tyres:

Speedoprogrammingcodes(MPH)_V2_20170926.jpg.373217b2c770d0d66dce3a5af138d1f5.jpg

And if you compare the tripmeter with a GPS device, you can fine-tune the code to a very close tolerance.

JV

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Many thanks for that. I did get to the root of the problem. The light on the sensor on the drive shaft was staying on for about ten teeth effectively reducing the ring from 43 to 33 teeth. A small adjustment and all was good.