Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crumbling Rear Brake Pads

Mike Molloy

When I finally managed to extract my rear pads for inspection, I was very disturbed to find that the pad material appears to be self-destructing. The edges of the pads just crumbeld under pressure from my thumb. The pads are standard Caterham fare, and have only done 2 track/test days, and 3 races. Oh, and 3 months in the garage over the winter. Caliper is standard Sierra single-piston jobbie.

I vaguely recall seeing a previous post suggesting that overheating might be the culprit?

Ideas and remedial suggestions please.

Your problem is not overheating IMHO.

I think you've put the car away wet, possibly after running it with salt on the road, and possibly with the hand brake on. The pads then seize to the disc surface and disintegrate when you first use the car. I had exactly the same and had to chisel the remnants of the pads off the rear dics.

Now I don't use the handbrake or take the car out in winter really.

Paul

Paul it depends on the tyres, if you're running something like 032r's then yes Green stuff won't cope but on anything less than those they should be OK (I guess it also depends how hard you are on the brakes as well!). With 032r's I ended up using Redstuff on the rear that seemed fairly ok although they did wear down quite quickly, then eventually when I moved to the uprated fronts I ended up with RS14's on the rear to sort out the balance.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 3 Mar 2003 12:19:26

Rob,

I am obviously missing something here...why is it tyre dependent? I know the stopping distance will be shorter with stickier rubber, but I really don't think it will make that significant of a difference to rear pad temperature, if that's what you're driving at. The front pads overheat because they do 70% or more of the work, the rears overheat because they are out of the cooling air flow.

Paul