Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Wing refitting / Fixings

Scottart

My offside rear wing got badly knocked ! Need to refix the wing with new fittings / bolts...the 'rivnuts ?' have popped out from the chassis 'arch'.

Any ideas what these are called and can I replace/redrill with larger fittings ?

Cheers, Steve

IMG_3860.JPG.a9a939a843aa4c665b8ab6c2543a121a.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG.399bba2cfc1dadce8fbc61a81499cdea.JPG

Suggest you get proper tool to set the Rivnut. Inner wing being pretty thin does not give you many opportunities to practice, I have used Sealey AK3985, very happy with it and will set larger ones for other jobs.

When I did mine I had to go up a size in Rivenut, the pulled out holes were the right size for the next size so 6mm I think instead of 5mm. I thought about a load spreading washer on the back side of the wing to limit it happening again but that made it all too thick for the rivenut to set properly.

In the end, having removed the inner panel, I went for aly rivenut (to avoid electrolysis risk) and a small fillet of thickened epoxy resin around the set rivenut to spread the load a bit with plastic cap head bots.

I'd go with elie on this - rubber nuts (with a metal thread inside; sometimes called 'rawlnuts' - a brand name); they also help to keep the different metals separated. 

Useful to have a few of these in the toolkit too, for repairs 'in the field'.

http://kojaycat.co.uk/WebRoot/Namesco/Shops/950000457/4F15/B806/2F7D/A0CF/62CB/C0A8/190A/1397/m8_well_nuts.jpg

Often called "well nuts". 

I use these for fixing the jack in the engine compartment. 

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these and RIVNUTs for wings, please?

Thanks

Jonathan

Ah - I was never sure what a 'well nut' is.

They typically have larger OD than a regular rivnut, so they can help when replacing a fixing in a hole that has already been damaged or enlarged by the escape of the previous occupant, and they are more tolerant of a slightly irregular hole.

As elie says, you don't need any special tooling (Ok - you *can* fit a rivnut without special tooling, but it's not ideal),

They can rip out again with (hopefully) a bit less further damage to the skin.

Flange is typically thicker than a metal rivnut, but you can work around that.

If a metal setscrew does become seized in the thread, you can hack the rubber away and then have a much slimmer metal insert to withdraw through the screw hole in the wing.

• Leadership Team

For fixing the rear wings aluminium rivnuts are the preferred option (as o/e) with M5 nylon bolts as a breakaway point. There is no bi-metallic corrosion with this setup. If the rivnuts have pulled out, the preferred option is to go up a size of rivnut. If inserting new rivnuts, use a rivnut tool, there's enough around that you can easily borrow one and they're pretty inexpensive. You'll not successfully fit a rivnut without the correct tool.

Stu.

I have lots of nylon nuts and bolts if anybody wants any, can post next week if required. That’s how I put my carbon rear wings on. That way if it gets knocked again the nylon is sacrificial. 

Mr P

• Leadership Team

Or at the cheaper end .... I've recently bought this one at RS, it's inexpensive and quite honestly you'll not use it enough to need anything better. I only bought it because I couldn't find my old one ... which obviously I found a few days after the new one arrived! 

Stu.

Rivnutgun.jpg.87776e17f675338876b7e4232b25c5d1.jpg