Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trolley jack and tool kit recommendations

mossy7

hello all... 

I am seeking recommendations for a low entry trolley jack for the 7 that is reasonable quality but not top of the range and hidelous​ly expensive plus also a tool kit that will cover most of my needs. Lots available from DT and Clarkes/ machine mart but wanted some guidance if possible.

cheers

Andy

For the toolkit I'd start by looking at the Halfords Advanced range: lifetime guarantee (on the tools), frequent sales, Club discount, and Members seem pretty happy.

As an amateur I discovered that smaller socketry is faster unless bigger is needed. And that T shaped hex wrenches are nice.

All of the tools I've bought at Aldi and Lidl have been good quality, with the exception of a folding workbench.

Currently recommended multimeter: Draper 60792 (but you can get it a lot cheaper elsewhere), and treat yourself to some additional leads with croc clips.

Jonathan

Trolley jacks: lots in the archives, and you have to make decisions on:

• Entry height
  • Maximum lifting capacity (what will you use it on apart from the Seven?)
  • Mass (aluminium structure is lighter but more expensive, do you want to take it to eg trackdays?)
  • Cost.

Jonathan

PS: Mine's a Sealey Yankee 2.25 tonne steel structure. Works fine but I have no reason to think it's better or worse than any other.

• Area Representative

Yes I'd agree on the Halford Professional range of tools - good quality kit and as JK says, with a lifetime guarantee. Not often I recommend Halfords, but I do on this occasion.

The lightweight jack from clarke for me as well, no need for the extra lifting weight, it just adds weight to the jack you have to lift when moving it around while working on the car. 

Tools are something I have built up over years, and a lot depends on your standards.  I.e. I won't use a metric spanner on an imperial bolt, and yes there are imperial bolts on a metric chassis.    I even found a witworth fitting on the flexible rear brake lines supplied by CC a few years ago.     If you genuinely have no tools, CC do a draper tool kit.  I assume this will get you a fair way, but be prepared to add when needed. 

I would give a big vote for the CC Draper kit.  With the exception of a small sub-50Nm torque wrench, it is very comprehensive.  CC can provide a detailed inventory of what is included which may help in making a value comparison.

• Area Representative

+1 for machine mart jack - will be looking at their offerings to replace my current, Clarke, one.

Don't pay "full" price for Halfords skt sets.  They have them on sale, with significant reduction, a few times every year.

• 2 weeks later...