Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starting woe

Blue_SV

Hi

Took the car out today, all fine and normal until I stopped in car park in local town. Got back to the car and tried to start but nothing - powers up, shift lights & ignition lights but dead when pressing starter button. Re-set the immobiliser and tried again with same result. Then tried jump leads to no avail. Resorted to a bump start and the car started straight away and was fine driving home. Turned off in the garage and tried to re-start but dead. It is a 1.8 K series - I have never had any similar problems in 4 years of ownership.

I would be grateful of some ideas on where to start in tracing the problem.

Cheers

Jon

1. Any recent work and has it been drowned?
  2. Was it being used frequently before today?
  3. Where did you connect the jump leads? Any hint of it turning over or a click with them on?
  4. What's the battery voltage at rest, minimum as you try to start and at 3,000 rpm?
  5. Then can you do the first two measurements again with it jumped to another car with the engine running fast?
  6. What type of battery and how old? Fluid level if relevant?
  7. Check all the relevant connections to battery, starter motor and earth to block etc. Inspect, wiggle, disconnect, clean and reconnect.

Jonathan

Remove small cable from solenoid on starter. Get a new piece of cable and fit a female spade connector one end. Attach this to the solenoid terminal. With car out of gear and ignition on ... touch the other end on to the battery + terminal. If starter cranks engine and starts it ... problem in that thin cable or the tiny relay in the MFRU. Easy to bypass it with an external 12V 4-pole relay without the need to open the MFRU.

• Area Representative

Sounds like it could be the k series “click”. Usually happens when hot. Could you hear a click from the MFRU (black wedge shaped block near or under ECU) when starter button pressed?  Check with fly lead as SM25T suggests and if it works fit a relay. Message me if you need instructions. 

Jonathan

Thanks. In answer to the first few questions: no recent work, and not drowned (fuel or water). It is used frequently - we were sprinting with the club in Blyton on weekend. Car started and run perfectly in the morning, it just would not restart (with starter) after stopping - only drove it about 6 miles. I connected jump leads to +ve terminal and earth point on engine block. Current battery voltage is 12.6V, I have not measured when trying to start. 

I tried to start it again tonight but still dead. I have not got any further down the list of checks, or tried the bypass option to solenoid. 

Cheers

Jon

• 2 weeks later...