Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Plumbed in fire extinguishers

Anthony

I would be grateful for your help please.

I am looking to put a plumbed in fire elctric ( avoids the mechanical cable ) extinguisher in the boot, whilst the car is completely stripped

Any tips please on which system to buy and how to fit in a Caterham ?

Many thanks

Edited by - anthony on 3 Mar 2003 07:19:50

Those T handles just sit there for 3 years. Water runs down inside the cable, they rust solid and then when you do need to pull them they're seized solid and the plastic bit comes off in your hand. For rally cars with two of these cables, electric cut-off plus extinguisher, this must be the most common reason for failing scrutineering.

If you have one then strip it, clean it, vaseline it and seal the end with silicon.

If you can avoid it by going electric then I totally agree just do it.

Guys, is the general consensus, put the extinguisher in the boot ?

Whilst international regs require discharge under bonnet and in coskpit, is there any advantage in having discharge in rear around petrol tank ?

Anyone got any tips as to where the discharge point should be ? Assume under the carbs/TB's ?

Welcome anythoughts !

Kindest regards

Anthony

VX the real way sideways

The blue book tells you where to put the nozzles for racing. One in the cockpit, one in the engine bay.

I think the cockpit one is written expecting a single seater, I can't see a nozzle in the relatively large Caterham cockpit doing anything except making a mess.

For the engine bay one, if it's a AFFF extinguisher then it wants to be above the carbs, throttle bodies, etc as the foam will fall over what you're spraying.

I think you're being a bit optimistic about putting one in the boot. If the petrol tank is ruptured and likely to be on fire then I think the risk of the plumbed in extinguisher putting that out is minimal. This type of extinguisher is intended to delay the onset of fire for just long enough to allow marshals to safely extract you from the remains of the car. It is not intended to provide long term protection from your car consuming itself in a fireball.

But then it's better than nothing.

Caterhams system has 3 outlets - 1 in the engine bay, one on the lhs of the pedal box and one pointing directly at the fuel tank.

Bottle is mounted in the boot on my SV - Cos the boot is enormous - Lots and Lots of room for the beer 😬