Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Curborough Video's

Mark Durrant

• Leadership Team

As part of the "Lowflying Editor Service" that I offer, I’m always delighted to instruct on the "ideal" line around Fradley, as well as on the black art of getting a Seven that's stuck in the mud moving again:

Been watching and very much enjoying your videos (and it's made me trawl through YouTube on channels like Aeroscreens too). I am now the veteran of precisely 1 track day in a 7 and my only complaint was I have no idea of how fast I was? Felt fast, but won't have been, enjoyed thoroughly, but there's nothing like competition to show me just how much I have to learn yet and remind me why humility is a good trait to have......So, thinking about doing a competitive type event. Looked at regs for speed events but a few questions if you don't mind. Believe car is class 4 (assuming the BHP on the dyno sheet that came with the car is honest). Car has no petty strut, out of date harnesses, my crash helmet has no FIA type sticker, I don't have a fireproof suit. Are there any competitive events I can do without getting all of the above - I don't want to spend a load in case I find it's not for me after all and due to location and cost, couldn't commit to many events anyways. Oh, sorry, 1 more thing, what does FHR mean??

• Area Representative

Paul,

The javelin sprint series is an option for a "toe in the water" go at competition. They don't run to MSA (Motorsports association - the governing body) rules, and have much less stringent technical requirements.

For MSA events like our own series, you'd need to run a minimum of an FIA or trackday rollover bar complete with petty strut. Harnesses are not mandatory, and do not need to be in date for speed events, but do need to be in good condition. Approved overalls, helmet and gloves are all mandatory. You'd also need to be a member of a suitable invited club, and hold a competition license (the minimum required for sprints and hillclimbs is a "non race Nat-B" license, which is simply a matter of filling a form in with a simple health questionnaire, and handing over, I think £43).

FRH = Frontal head restraint = HANS device or similar