Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IVA fail 6

blueyedbiker

Next fail point concerns the fog light.  The switch lights up whenever the side lights are on even when the fog light is off.  The requirement quite obviously is that the switch only lights up when the fog light is on.  There's patently a wiring problem on the car so any suggestions on how to untangle it?

Ta.

• Leadership Team

The positive feed for the gauge and switch illumination is a linked red/white (or white/red, I'm going from memory), connected to the bulb connection on each gauge and switch that needs it. For the fog light switch, rather than using this feed you can simply piggy back the connection to one of the two main terminals - one should give permanent illumination, one should be switched as is the way you need it (i.e. you need to connect to the output of the switch).

Stu.

Just checked my ‘98 car and the switch illuminates with the headlights on.

What Stu says is correct - you need to disconnect existing illumination feed (& secure/tape up) and take a new feed from the switched wire going to the fog light.

IIRC the connectors are female spade but smaller versions. Just checked and I think they are 4.8mm.

The wiring looks simple just 4 wires - dash illumination and earth on spade terminals on the side of the switch and plug on the back with 2 wires. The feed comes from the headlight circuit as fog will only work with headlights on. Last wire will be switched feed to the lamp.

Interestingly, this switch is the only one on the seven that has a second illuminated panel visible when the switch is on - I think this is because the switch was low level in British Leyland cars (it was on my ‘80s mini) and the extra panel made it slightly more visible!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted!

It's a 2000 chassis, on the back of the switch the RED/BLUE wire to the plug is the +ve supply from the headlamps (dip and full beam) and the RED/ORANGE wire from the plug is the switched supply to the fog lamp.  The thin RED/WHITE wire to the tag on the RHS of the fog lamp switch is the +ve supply from the light switch to the light in the fog lamp switch and the thin BLACK wire on the LHS is the earth for the light in the switch so, the thin RED/WHITE wire is now surplus and a feed to the tag on the RHS if the switch is bridged from the RED/ORANGE wire from the plug.

It now operates in the correct sense in that the fog lamp only comes on with headlamps and the switch only illuminates when the fog lamp is on. 

Thanks for all the info.

Another one bites the dust........