Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Helmet clearance

chris perry 1

Dear All,

Currently having trouble getting the necessary 50mm clearance from the top of my helmet to top of fia bar even when i sit on the ali floor.

Dont really want to go down the route of a tall fia bar. If i change the seat to a racing one would this make a difference and sit me more laid back. (if

that was possible from those that know me!)

If so which one. Would the low back plastic varity do the job?

Cheers.

Chris

depends what seat you have already to how much you can save, but if you have a seat + adjustable runners then yes, removing the seat will gain you quite a bit

and as you say if you lay back more, then this gains alot, but beware, the more you lay back:

a) the more leg room you need, i.e. if you are tall you may find that you cant push the pedals back far enough

b) the harness will also sit more 'flat' across your chest.. im not sure if this matters?

(well this is what i found when i did it on my for academy a couple of years ago

the good news, is that i found it meant you got a better view, since you look though the window rather than over it... also feels better since you are lower in the car. (more like a single seater)

seats, i went for a indy seat, but this was expensive - but many of the race teams use a bin liner filled will polysytene beads (as used for bean bags) and then resin to set it - alot cheaper and the same thing. (btw, the more time you spend making it the better it looks)

advantage of these seats, is that you can have any position you want and ensure a nice fit.

hope this helps

mark