Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lap strap

Paul R.

Bought a lap strap for drivers seat only (to fit existing Luke 4 point harness as supplied by Caterham) and just got round to fitting it. Assumed from bits supplied that the two ends fit on same points as existing lap straps. Two problems:-

1. New bolts are same length as old ones and not a lot of thread left when extra spacers etc are put in place.

2. When extra spacers and extra belt are in place, offside fitting fouls seat and prevents sliding back.

Anyone else struggled with this and found a solution?

I don't really want to dispense with the spacers as they allow movement of the belt to ensure the correct attitude of belt when under tension.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul R.

I presume it's the crutch strap you're fitting Paul. I had the same problem with mine. I got over the seat fouling problem by getting hold of some older seat belt bolts from a scrap yard, these have the same thread, enough length, and the bolt heads are thinner so project into the seat area less. Still not perfect, but I can just about make the seat go back now. Problem is, I don't know what car they came from. Luke's may be able to help if you ask.

Mike

OOPS!! Yes Mike you're right it is a crutch strap.

Heads on existing bolts are already quite thin. I think all seat belt bolts are pretty much the same (7/16 inch UNF?). I think the worst part is lack of access and not being able to see the part the part of the seat which fouls and taking it in and out is hard work. Perhaps a little modification to the seat with a 7lbs precision instrument? Thanks for help.

Paul R.

Don't know how old the chassis is, but more recent chassis have two threads on the rear cross member for crutch strap mounting (FIA said colocating with the lap straps was unsafe). The belt end may need a bit of fettling as the clearance is tight against the bulkhead. I think I ended up using a 5/16ths S-rated bolt and a nut underneath with a massive washer to spread the load.

If not get longer bolts, but make sure they are 'S' rated and don't tell the scrutineers wink.gif

Cheers,

Davebo

C7 CAR