Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Click of death - on a Duratec??!!

Shortshift

• Leadership Team

I thought this was a K-series affliction only...

R500 Duratec, 2012.  Has been running perfectly until the last few days when, on pressing the start button, I get the under-dash relay click but no starter motor action (battery is 100% fine; fuel pump is priming and so on - that side of things is AOK).

So working through things:

• When I measure voltage at the primary +ve terminal on the solenoid, it goes from 0V before the starter switch is pushed (as expected) to 11.5V when the switch is pressed - all good; power is getting to the primary side of the solenoid through the isolator switch and the starter switch.
  • As a double check, I took a direct feed ( a length of wire - treated very gingerly!) from the +ve terminal on the battery and connected this directly to the +ve terminal on the solenoid primary, so removing both the isolator switch and the starter switch from the equation.  It's probably getting north of 12V with this direct feed, but still no response from the solenoid.
  • Getting serious now; short out the two secondary circuit terminals on the solenoid (effectively bypassing the contactors inside the solenoid) and - voila - starter motor turns (but without the pinion engaging because the solenoid needs to be activated to do that).

So - starter motor is OK but clearly the solenoid itself is not working - even when fed with plenty of volts it is failing to move the contactor plates together.  I guess the coil inside the solenoid has failed, or some other mysterious internal failure??

So - what are my options?  Can the solenoid be replaced on a 2.0 Duratec HE-I4, or do I need to splurge out on a complete starter motor and solenoid assembly?  And if I need a new unit, is there a recommended 'upgrade' - perhaps something that is better suited to high temperatures and a life under-bonnet in a Caterham?

James

• Leadership Team

Thanks Tony.  I have established that the starter/solenoid fitted to my car is a standard Ford unit (Focus??) with part number 3M5T-11000-AE.  It's an 11-tooth pinion unit.

There seems to be a choice of aftermarket 'OEM spec' units on the market ranging from around £85 through to £170 with Bosch being the most expensive.  Oh - sorry - CC want no less than £256...   But I've also spotted that are some alternative (uprated?) units available from places such as SBD (made by ARK) and Burton (made by Edge), although they seem to be quite pricey. 

I'd welcome any views or experience.

James

Brise have heat protection designed in, choice of "internal" or "external" solenoid - and you can swivel the unit to keep the external solenoid as far away as poss from the primary.

edit: I can find only one on their site, worth asking Tim Brise - a visit to their place is very interesting.

• Leadership Team

Thanks Anthony - I've mailed Tim Brise so we'll see if he can supply, and when.  Coming in at £188 according to his website; one of the pricier options.

The starter is on the opposite side of the engine to the exhaust on a Duratec so it puzzles me as to why heat should be a problem anyway.  Though I suspect that this has been the root cause of the failure I've experienced.

James

• Leadership Team

This morning's job. 

Have to partly drain the oil first so I can get the filter off (to gain access) without a torrent of oil going everywhere, and then the wash bottle (on an aeroscreen car!) needs to be removed also to give access...  Still has the same windscreen wash fluid in there from the factory build back in 2012!

I'll get if off and have a delve.

James

• Leadership Team

Replying to Bob at #11 - thanks: I had seen that but am wary of the different part number.  Suspect it's a different tooth count (I need 11 on the pinion and I think this is 19 tooth version) and/or different engagement 'throw' for the Mazda-engine flywheel spec.

James

• Leadership Team

Interesting...  The info I saw suggested 19 tooth for that part #.  Anyway - found a local autoelectrican who can change the solenoid while I wait for around £35 so the decision seems to be made! 

I'll post again when all is back together and working.

Many thanks for the various inputs.

James

• Leadership Team

All done!  New solenoid fitted to the existing starter by a local auto electrician for the princely sum of £37 + VAT.  All back in place and A-OK. 

Hope that the part numbers and cross-references might be useful to others in the future, and thanks again for the suggestions and recommendations.

James