Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weber Pumps/Jets Blocked? Updated

virden

Have tried to bring my 96 Super Sprint X/F out of winter hibernation but cannot get it to fire up. The plugs are sparking and dry, the battery strong, and the fuel pump is working.   The carb float chambers are full but when turning over there is no smell of fuel and as far as I can see looking into the trumpets no fuel is being squirted when I open the throttles, so I am guessing there blockages in the carbs?  Do I have to strip the carbs down or will squirts of carb cleaner sort it?

Well done Auyt, there was clear jelly like film blocking the jet holes. Thanks

When some types of fuel dry out it leaves a residue that looks like yellow varnish.

How long since the carbies have had an overhaul?

Carby cleaner will clean the jets but you need to remove them just to do it, but that is just the jets, to clean the internal galleries. they need to come to pieces.

It could be a blockage, but if all four barrels are failing to squirt, it could easily be that the pump jet mechanisms have seized.

This isn't as bad as it sounds because you can usually free them off by removing the top of the carburettors and moving the plunger rods up and down gently by hand.