Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheels and tyres advice please? HPC to 13" swap

pcgoodie

Hey there ... I've a 150BHP SV on 16" HPC alloys, and am looking to make the switch to 13" wheels and some taller tyres. I use the car in all weathers, and mainly for fast road use.

I have 4 of these (alloys only)  in my possession:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAPRI-RS-LASER-ALLOY-WHEEL-ORIGINAL-SPARE-WITH-GOODYEAR-TYRE-FITTED/183166242210?hash=item2aa58f0da2:g:AAAAAOSw9GhYm2jj

So the exam question for all you tech talkers is... What tyres should I fit (size and brand) and if anyone knows, do I need to add any spacers to get the offset right, or will these be ok as-is.

All advice gratefully received!

Simon.

• Leadership Team

Simon, my approach would be slightly different ... I'd sell the RS alloys you have and unless you're hell bent on going all the way to 13", because it's an SV I'd look out for a set of o/e 15" Caterham Anthracite wheels. They suit the car much better and there's plenty of tyre choice available to achieve what you want whether road or track focussed.

Stu.

Many thanks Stu

I'm not wedded to the RS's... they were gifted to me, so I didn't want to unnecessarily look that horse in the mouth!!

I ran my last SV on CC 15s with CR500s on, and it was definitely better than the HPCs on this one, but I just keep reading people extolling the magic of smallest wheels and tallest tyres... should I assume that 14s are an interesting compromise too, or is there good reason that 15" are the perfect match for a mid-powered SV roadcar?

Jupiters are mid 80's wheels - I 'think' the guy has been trying to sell them for a while - up at 200 then 180. Whilst minilights are similar era, I think they've aged better and universally look good on a seven. My kit originally came with 14" minator minilight wheels which looked good and gave good ground clearance - 13s can put the sump a bit low to the tarmac!!

My 0.02p on the matter:-

- SV's look better with bigger wheels (personal opinion)

- 14s or 15s seem a good compromise for the road but limited selection of tyres, particularly 15's in 45 profile.

- 13s - more tyre choice, less ground clearance though 70 profile tyres can help. I think 6" fronts and 8" rears look OK on the SV but going for 205 width rears can affect handling characteristics.

If it were my car I'd be going for 14s or 15s with R888Rs/Nakang/Rainexperts (14s) or CR500's (15s).

Ian

thanks Ian...

... I do remember getting decent 15" tyres being a bugger on my last 7... so if I went 14" minilites (agree they look universally good) what tyre size would you suggest? ... my 16's are on 205/45, and the car just feels over-tyred today... 

... also, my (analogue) speedo reads 10% under at all speeds... I'm assuming a change to the "right" rolling circumference would address this (or is it more sensible to assume that the speedo is mis-calibrated?

(please all stop laughing at my lack of technical prowess!*rofl*)

Hi.  I have just ordered a set of 13” apollo for my car and have a set of 15” 10 spoke super lights with cr500’s two of them are new ish that I will be selling in the near future if you’re interested? 

I asked several years ago re tyre widths and power - below 200bhp 185s are more that adequate. 15s are usually 195s.

Seems like you have an opportunity for some 15s already :-)

Re speedo - I’d have to sit down and work it out! If its an electronic speedo you can recalibrated it - there will be some posts in the archives explaining how. If mechanical drive just check with a gps speedo (phone app or satnav) if its out just put some tape markers on the dial at strategic speeds.

Regards

Ian

• Area Representative

I have just done this, I run 13’s for sprints/track use and go back to the 16’s for the road when touring.

I have 6x13 and 7x13 minilites fitted running  185/55 and 205/60 tyres (ZZR and Yoko A048R etc) tyres, the only issue at times on the road is sump clearance, however I could change to a higher sidewall on the fronts to improve this but as I primarily use these on track it’s not that inconvenient 98% of the time. I just have to be wary of the road I’m on.

The car comes alive on 13’s and in the majority of situations can be encouraged to step the back out at will. Feels a lot quicker, throttle response is instant, the feel of the car, especially in gear appears much improved.

Speedo wise, when they fitted the 16’s did they actually recalibrate this to suit 16’s or did they retain the calibration for 13’s?