Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Recommendations for U.S. Car

Ronbo

Went to take my car for a ride this morning only to find the battery has finally packed it in. I'm hoping someone could recommend a battery that will properly fit the very limited space available. The car is a '93 deDion chassis, with the battery located on the frame below the carbs. Most batteries, including the replacement that just died, are too big for the space. I'd like to have one the size of the original if possible. The car (and I) are located in the U.S. Hopefully someone knows of a battery from Pep Boys, Sears, Autozone, etc. that would work. Thanks for your help!

Ronbo

Check out Odyssey batteries made by Hawker in the States. I have one of these and am very happy with it. Do a search on Google or Yahoo. The batteries are smaller, lighter, can be mounted at any angle and have much higher cranking amps. I have a PC 545 which is only 13 Ah but has 300 cranking amps. If you want something bigger they do a PC 680.

Hope this helps.

AMMO

Hello,

I also have a 93 DD Caterham with the Vx. engine.

My battery is mounted on the rail below the carbs, just like yours.

The battery that I have been using for 5 years is made by SBS. Your can purchase it from Pegasus (www.pegasusautoracinginc.com)

The battery is part # 1170. It's small and can be taken out from beneathe the car. The Pegasus cataloge or web site will give you the measurements and capacity. The cost is $55.

If you feel you need more amps they have other sizes available but this one has worked well for me although I do keep a trickle charger on it when the car will be sitting for a week or more.

bart lami, caterham hpc, pgh. pa

Ronbo, Failing this, consider using a 12V garden tractor battery, I have used one of these for years without problems on my seven. Any decent garden machinery place would have a choice of a least a dozen of the right size to pick from. I have considered using a Bike battery in the past but these are just a litle too small

Ronbo

My old x-flow had the same battery location. Graham has the right approach for the budget minded. I used a 325 amp garden tractor battery from Walmart. $19.95 plus tax. Measure carefully, the fit is close to the old Banner supplied by Caterham.

Any one try a motor bike battery??

Cheers!

No officer, the wheel is on the RIGHT side. *wink*

Red Super Sprint De Dion 6 speed

I also used a garden tractor battery on my Vx engined 21, with no cranking or rundown problems.

The only thing to note though, is that the original "Banner" battery has flush filler plugs on the top, allowing the battery strap to fit neatly over them, whereas the only garden tractor battery I could find had screw in plugs that stand proud of the top and b**gger up the strap fitting, otherwise these seem to work fine and are the cheapest option available.