Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo drive change in situ

Wrightpayne

Essential tools - smallish flat wrecking bar (14” ish), stubby flat screwdriver, right angle circlip pliers and a large 2” washer.

- Jack up and put on stands

- disconnect speedo angle drive by removing circlip.

- use stubby screwdriver to pry out cap - there are 4 raised areas on the circumference to aid this. NOTE - on mine the worm drive on the gearbox output shaft had worn a divot in the cap. Try and refit in same orientation - 12 o’clock.

- use a punch / short drift to press out the drive. Should be easy.

- Remove seal with a screwdriver.

- push in new seal with thumb and finish off with a small socket and the wrecking bar. Find an appropriate bit of chassis to lever against.

- insert replacement drive - bit fiddly

- use wrecking bar and large washer over the cap to lever it in. First attempt it got a bit twisted so had to prise out and start again. Once aligned pressed in easy. I put some blue hylomar around the edge to help seal.

Regards

Ian

Nice: sometimes it makes all the difference just to know it's possible.

When you were sorting out the replacement drive did you discover if all of the speedo bits for the Caterham 6 speed box are identical to those for the Ford Type 9? (As suspected but not established in a recent thread.)

Thanks

Jonathan

Yes speedo drive is from the 5 speed - obtained ‘used’ from Road & Race who said becoming rare. That said I found a company on ebay MKF engineering who make billet aluminium drives in various tooth denominations. Thats the next step if problem persists.

The retaining cap and oil seal are carried over from the 5 speed too.

The drive is 24 tooth and with the 6 speed on 185/60 13” wheels the speedo is pretty accurate.

Regards

Ian

• 7 months later...

I am sorry but I just dont get this, the cap does not go where the Speedo angle drive exits it is on the other side of the housing correct? 

,This picture is showing where the cap goes but I cannot relate this to the gearbox am I correct in saying this is the opposite side where he angle drive attaches?

Type9speedoretainingcap_arrowed_0.jpg.e606c8bedccd8299c114289c03cb282b.jpg

Someone said loosen the mounts and move the case over but I don't see being able to replace this without removing the engine and gear box which is something that is beyond my abilities and I can see a frustration off the scale just thinking about trying with the gear box in the car. 

Plan B take it to a mechanic and hope they can work it in without major surgery