Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma cooling system

JwBye20

My 2013 125 sigmas coolant gauge is all over the place, at idle it sits around 80 and driving along it moves either way depending on driving style. Now the problem comes as soon as I switch the heater fan on to position one the gauge rockets to around 90, move to position two it sits just under the red. I believe the location of the sender will have something to do with this. Has anyone else had this problem? 

Many thanks

I'm not an expert, but I suspect this is some electric gremlin. My Sigma guage rises slowly to about 80 and then sits there until the engine is switched off unless I am stationary for a while when the temp rises until the fan cuts in.

There is no change in temperature when the fan switch is moved. It seems to me that as you move the fan switch, extra current is flowing ( to earth?) through the guage.

Duncan

Cheers for the responses, it suggests there’s an earth problem. I have a multimeter but not sure where to find a wiring diagram. The sender is located at the rear of the engine. Will investigate further when I’m off next week

many thanka

It might not be visible when you look at the sender from the back of the engine, so just to mention that in addition to the loom plug that fits into the top of the sender, there is an earth lead held in place by a small nut, it is low down and into the side of the submarine that the sender screws in to.