Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Techcraft silences go and check for cracked welds

Paul D Jones

I belive this has happened to people before the front face has a socket welded on to i so a secondary pipe can be slotted into it from the engine my silencer had two cracks around the weld so very little holding it on.

The biggest reason for this to fail so soon is the fact that the welder has TIG welded it togethere and has only melted it together [common sheet metal workers practice] and not put any rod into the weld. So the weld looks neat but reduces the strenght of the perant material due to the under cutting of the perant material.

It is now rewelded in the proper manner and braced, but because of the properties of stainless steel it will go again due to the britalisation of the perant material hopefully in years to come not months.

Paul.

See My Car Here

Paul I have had similar problems,and in fact have had to get a new silencer (albeit quieter and bigger).We have had welded on some strengthening gussets to see if this helps.

Another reason i feel they go here is that this is the middle of an un supported length and has major stress from engine movement.

I say this because i have seen other exhausts ,not techcraft ones crack here as well.