Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fresh-air heater - is this a bespoke caterham part

Nick Woods

My fresh air heater has cracked at the base such that it doesnt properly seal around the bottom and lets water into the cockpit.

I'm reluctant to go heaterless at the moment so if my bodgit job doesnt work (lots of gaffer tape and solid rubber draught excluder *cool*) I'll have to get a replacement, either new or secondhand.

I understand that there have been a couple of versions over the years, but mine looks like 'Heater , fresh air' part 77028 on the parts CD (its on a 1996 K-series).

Is this a bespoke Caterham part or is it an off-the-shelf item ?

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Thanks Paul.

In case anyone was wondering, its not a coolant leak but rain and washing water that's working its way under the heater and into the cockpit.

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Thanks again for the info.

Mine is the plastic one, which from the look of it is more or less impossible to get to bits.

I've made a small 'dam' out of draught excluder and gaffer tape around the holes in the flat panel beneath the heater. If that doesnt work I might just get a blanking panel and do away with it altogether.

Nick

Thanks for the tip Mr Locust

I didnt see the holes but I figured that sealing all round the bottom wasnt a good idea because any water that did find its way down there would get trapped, hence the 'dam' around the vent holes in the alli panel.

If I take it off again to attempt a repair on the cracks I'll keep an eye open for the drain holes.

Nick

I have got Alex Wongs old heater and, in fact, there were no holes drilled in the upturned plastic for drainage, so I drilled my own.

I also noted that the holes in the ali bulkhead top are slightly smaller than the heater outlets so turned the edges up all round by about 5-6mm to prevent water running in from washing or raining.

Seems to have worked ok.

Brent

7 not now in so many bits 😬