Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Silverstone TDV and Tyres survey.

SvenDriver

OK no longer a virgin. Couldn't help but feel the coolness factor despite the weather. Had several "Hey, I'm at silverstone Pitside - how cool is that?" moments. Over 110 cars there apparently.

Anyway, lots of rain and a very wet track. On my Pilots at 16PSI driving was like on ice on the corners. I could feel (thanks to foam seat) that the car was drifting on all 4 tyres on the corners even at slowish speeds.

So, how did everyone else get on with tyres and predictability?

I didn't have much grip relative to others perhaps but I did stay on track and was reasonably confident that I was doing as much as the tyres could cope with.

Bags of fun.

Tyres where great - Yoko A539 at 20PSI. Learnt a lot about the car, expecially how stable it is under hard braking from 100 to 40-50 for Luffield off the straight. Even the standard brakes seem great to me (but apparently I have an uprated master cylinder). I locked up breifly going into turn 1.

The guys from hyperion where useful to talk to & have got me wondering whether I have an LSD - they thought I might cos of the symptoms I described & the age / overall spec of the car. That would be a nice surprise - am going to jack up the back tomorrow & find out!!

Also learnt that I have a big front anti roll bar which explains why the car tends to understeer rather than over steer (I didnt have any back end moments at all today - good for car preservation, but less good for playing on a wet track.

I also saw a lot of stuff I would like to spend money on!! *smile* 😳

I invested on Monday in a new set of Yoko A021R's 185/60 R13 on the front and 205/60 R13 on the rear, 16psi alround, and given the amount of water on the track I was very pleased with their performance. However, I still managed to spin the rear wheels in 3rd and 4th when entering the back straight, but only did it once, choosing to feed the power in a little slower thereafter *thumbup*.

Brakes were OK but I think I will replace the pads soon, probably for some Mintex 1155's.

Mark

(No longer a track day virgin 😬)

• Area Representative

Running on new 185/70x13 AO21r's and 18 lbs psi all round and I didn't feel any problems in the morning session. Trish didn't have any problems in the afternoon either despite the terrible weather which she put down to running slower than me in the morning - until we checked our cycle computer to see what the average and maximum speeds were for the sessions and she was only 5 mph off my speed in the morning - bugger *confused*

Had a brilliant time and I think this is the start of an expensive(ish) hobby... for both of us!!

Cheers everyone that we met today and commiserations to the guys that spun off badly but at least no-one suffered any personal injuries *thumbup*

Nick & Trish

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

I was on AVON ZV1 Widow Makers. Corners were slow affairs today. I have never driven on such a greasy surface. Some chap in front of me had CR500's and could out corner me but I caught up on the straights 😳 *wink*

Good to see you all.

Alex

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Black

Edited by - abirtwisle on 1 Mar 2003 21:48:06

We were running RE720's Thought they worked really well. Had plenty of confidence in them in the AM session in the rain *thumbup*

The car had a bit of understeer (could be the large ARB)in some of the slower corners which I liked and felt nicely balanced through the fast(ish) ones

Blue and Carbon Supersport