Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting an injected cars tank to a carbed car

davejmitch

Whilst looking for a replacement tank for my crossflow engined car I was kindly offered an unused injection tank for a K series (injected car)

Keen to get the car up and running I was about to make a blanking plate and pick up pipe to replace the hole where the rover derived in-tank fuel pump unit goes when I thought to check what rover/mg did on the diesel version of cars that used this style of tank sender flange.

£10 later I picked up a rover/mg 200/25 diesel tank sender unit (as the diesel cars don't have an in-tank pump but do have the same flange.

With a trim and a tweak of the pick up pipe to get it into the notched cut out into the baffle plate bottom corner and removal of the rover level sensor it works a treat. I needed to blank the injection return line and fit a reducer elbow for the filler neck but it seems to work well and passed the low tank level roundabout surge test!

So if anyone strangely finds themselves with an injected cars tank and wants to fit it to a carbed car, take a look at a rover 25 diesel tank sender unit. Or put your hand in your pocket and buy the correct tank in the first place from somewhere other than Caterham who no-longer stock them!