Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

No Dash Lights/Sidelights - Please Help!!!

Bradbys

I have read the threads on how to fix this incredibly irritating problem, but to NO avail. I have checked the earths, the bulbs within the dash, the bulbs within the lights themselves and I still don't have any joy.

Can anyone tell me what i have missed.

*mad*

Have you checked the sidelight switch is actually functioning correctly as dash lights and sidelights operate off the same switch? Do the headlights come on if you switch the switch to that position? Check the switch with a meter if you have one or wire up a torch bulb and battery through the switch if you don't have a meter.

I don't know how technical you are but you could bypass the switch as a test by shorting the CORRECT wires together. I presume you have double checked the fuse (with a meter preferably). It's unlikely all the earths are bad so I don't think this will be the problem.

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

If the small wires attached to the side of the main light (on-off) switch touch the dash they will blow the fuse.

Pull out the switch, and with it hanging down replace the fuse for the side and dash lights and see what happens.

If that doesnt fix it repeat for each switch in turn. I assume you've checked for loose instrument bulbs as these will also blow fuses.

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

If the red wire on the side of the switch touches the bare metal of the dash it would blow the panel light fuse but not the siidelight fuse. The black wire on the side of the switch is an earth anyway and so won't cause a problem in this respect.

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

On my car (1996 k-series supersport) the right-hand sidelights and the dash lights also share the same fuse, hence its a 7.5A one instead of the 5A used for the left-hand sidelights.

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here