Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch issueg

Jh roadsport

Hi guys, I have a newish 420R. On my way down to Silverstone tonight for tomorrows club trackday I go to push the clutch pedal and it’s halfway down before I touch it. A few pumps it comes back but not for long. I’ve had this issue last year then a mechanic at bookatrack bled the clutch fluid and it seemed better now it’s happened again. I’m at Silverstone tomorrow so it’s short notice to get it sorted. I’ll check the fluid level in the morning though last time it happened the level was full. Anyone else have this issue?

thanks in advance 

Jason

Hope it’s just a bleed, the CRB or braided hose replacement are engine out jobs :-(.  Bleeding is a bit of a pain with access, I have a cut down offset ring spanner for that job (8mm I think), not something I would have in my track day tool box.

Sounds to me like the master cylinder seals are leaking.  The initial symptoms are as you describe, but you can end up without any clutch action at all.  Note that you won't see much of a fluid level change anyway. 

If I'm right, the simpler (but more expensive) cure will be to replace the m/c as a unit.  The cheaper solution will be to renew the seals using a refurb kit.

JV

Thanks for the replies. On checking under the bonnet this morning there was some leaked fluid from the cap. So checked the level virtually full. Just a small amount leaked. Cleaned it up and on tightening the cap it didn’t really tighten just went loose again so put a couple of layers of tape around it then refitted the cap and it created a better seal. Was fine for the trackday but on the journey home it went limp again so I’m going to have another go at getting a tight seal on the cap. Hoping that’s all it is. What is it with Caterham using crappy fluid caps that don’t work?? 

Is your 420R under warranty?  I agree the cap should be replaced and will cure the leak, but not sure it could cause the problems you describe?   It’s unusual to leak from the clutch mc cap, the brake mc, that’s a different story.