Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which tyre

Thornberry

Im buying a car at the end of the month and it has low profile tyres in the pics. (Im not sure what they are yet) im concerned they will be far to slippy for me as its my first time driving a caterham ill have about 300miles to get bk to n.ireland. Its a 150 roadsport. Should I ask the dealer to swap them out for a normal profile tyre ?

Craig

You’ll be fine - just take it steady esp if its damp. Standing water should be avoided / taken slowly.

Some of the tintop tyres Caterham fit are equally bad in the wet as v hard rubber for longevity, amongst other compromises of a tyre designed for a car 3x the weight.

By all means check the make & size and post back here and you’ll get an opinion on what’s fitted (several opinions actually!)

Regards

Ian

I'm not sure why "low profile" should necessarily equal "slippy", but if this is the car you're buying from Jon Vicker at Millwood's, simply take his advice!  He knows more about sevens than most people on the planet.  And if those tyres are CR500s -- no problem, as they're bespoke rubber for the seven.

Are you sure it's a 250 Roadsport?  Can you post up a photo?

JV

By all means check the make & size and post back here and you’ll get an opinion on what’s fitted (several opinions actually!)

Yes. There's a vast amount of useful advice in the archives, and many of us with similar requirements for tyres that are safe on roads in rain and OK for occasional track use.

Jonathan

Wheel size may be an issue as raising the profile may mean the tyre will not fit the wing. There was a 150 K Series which could have been fitted with 16" wheels and I can't see any chance of raising the profile (45) on those.

I think the general idea is that higher profiles flex a bit under stress and gradually breakaway giving a warning that things could go pear shaped but low profiles have less to flex so the breakaway is not so gradual. Higher profiles will deal better with  potholes and vertebrae.

I don't have a problem with a lower profile (205/45) but I don't push the car to its limits either so profile is not going to make much difference to me either way. A Seven will feel very odd to begin which should reign in most enthusiastic drivers until they become familiar with it so tyres are unlikely to be an immediate issue.

CR500s do get a lot of favourable comment that I am in no position to agree with or dispute. What I would say though is when choosing a tyre size or brand on recommendation is to ask whoever is saying good or bad stuff what they use their car for.