Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine Out Query

Simon Dart

Does anyone have any experience of removing a K plus gearbox using a static lift and moving the car?

I note that most people jack up the rear of the car to minimise the angle the lump comes out at, is it really that extreme?

The reason I ask is because I've not done this before and I've got a lovely big joist to hang a winch from and I don't have an engine crane! Thanks,

Simon

It's pretty tight Simon but not too difficult. I've always used a crane on wheels but it's easy to move the car than try to move the crane and getting the engine swinging about!

Lift the engine just off its mountings with the hoist and gently rock the car to begin pulling the propshaft and gearbox apart. Once the splines begin to come out of the gearbox just push the car back gently, listening for metal/metal contact which is not a good thing, until the front of the engine is about to touch a front chassis tube or something. Then start lifting slowly until the bellhousing or gearbox is about to make contact with the top of the transmission tunnel. Push the car back a few centimetres until the engine is about to make contact with a tube again.....etc etc. It comes out quite nicely in a series of steps. Just take your time and it'll be fine.

Ken

Edited by - kenevans on 1 Mar 2003 11:45:17

Mick 'K' Smith (has his engine in & out so often I swear it has Dzus fasteners) uses an electric hoist fitted to a RSJ in his garage and does just that; moves the car. Actually I think he controls the hoist while his wife (or anyone around at the time) gets to rock the car etc 😬

Just a little tip which could be used when taking out your engine - buy some pipe insulator from B&Qs (polypropylene pipe with split down one side) and put this over the chassis tubes I think the type for 22mm diameter pipework is best.then if the engine swings and clouts the chassis the powder coating will be protected.