Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shortening front wing stays

paul jacobs

I know Caterham sell 'Race' front wing stays, which I assume allow the front wing to sit much closer to the tyre, but has anyone had a go at modifying the existing stay, which put the wing up in the air? 

I know the angle of the two arms will make things a little difficult, but surely it must be possible to cut and shut somehow?  Has anybody had a go at it, and how did you get on.

I am fed up with seeing my wings hovering over the tyres with 2" -3" air in between.

I took some measurements to determined how much I wanted to lower the wing. I used masking tape to mark the cut in the straight part of both the top and bottom stays. I also put tick marks on either side of the cut to insure proper realignment. I used a pipe / tubing cutter to insure a square cut. I ground some of the threads off a 3/4 inch bolt until it was a snug fit inside the wing stay. The bolt was just long enough to insure proper alignment. I tack welded the cut, and test fitted the stay. Once satisfied I welded the stay back together. I ground down the weld until the splice was no longer visible. I used a propane torch to burn off all the powder coating. I painted the stay semi gloss black. 

I have used this technique a coupe of times and the modification is invisible.

Good stuff, thanks Philip, it's nice to know it can be done relatively easily and worth a go.  If the worst happens and the stay is impossible to modify because I make a mess of it, I can always spend £130 on a pair of 'race' wing stays.

Ian, good point, and yes I do have my wings bolted on, and as they are new, I don't want to have to make new holes if possible.

Has anyone else had a go?