Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4 Point Harness Advice

IanJ

Hi All,

Looking to replace our 4 point harnesses for this season. We currently have the standard Caterham Luke ones, but ideally looking for something with shorter waist straps and top adjusters.

Does anybody have comparative experience of the sizing of other brands e.g. Willans?

Thanks in advance.

I recommend Titon, who will make the straps whichever you want.

I bought mine from Prima, but would now try Metor Motorsport first... if their website didn't now say:
DUE TO RECENT FIA REGULATION CHANGE AND TIME CONSTRAINTS TITON ARE NOT MANUFACTURING ANY HARNESSES.

Prima say: 
NOW VOSA APPROVED FOR IVA TESTING 
Prima Motorsport are proud to announce that after many months of negotiating and diplomacy, we have persuaded VOSA and the Department of Transport that our FIA approved harnesses, homologated to FIA 8853 – 98 are an acceptable standard to pass an IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval [iVA] Manual for Vehicle Category M1 [Passenger Vehicles] with effect from the revision date of 24thMay 2010.

Jonathan

I can confirm that for the past 5 months i have only been able to sell 6 point with the QR on the crutch strap. 

I have now sold all of those also.

Prima's website is way out of date.

Until such time as Prima can resolve the FIA situation there are no more belts available.  This may mean never as it may not make business sense.

I have been working with TRS on similar spec belts but there is a minimum 6 week lead at the moment and prices wiĺl be closer to the £200 mark.

• Area Representative

That is bad news Simon.  Towards the end of last year I was trying to get a set for the 21, with buckle on the waist strap and both buckles on the central ones of these (let's keep the buckles off the paintwork) and this was causing a problem (for some reason).

Yes Steven its the same reason.

Titon is Prima's hobby business.  The main business is truck straps and ropes.  They thought they had sold the business, downsized and then at the last moment the sale fell through.  Staff laid off and everthing at that time.

Now they are in a building too small - not enough staff etc etc.

Additionally, the FIA change was looming and they did not want to stock up on QR's that may not meet the new spec.

As I understand it the only change required is that the lever on the QR has to be a little smaller/shorter.  For this their design costs and testing are in the order of £10k !!!!!  Thats a lot of belts to sell as a hobby business!

Thanks for all the comments. Titon from Meteor would have been the obvious choice, but I was aware of the supply issue.

Will speak with Luke, otherwise I'll have to look at the much more expensive Schroth/Willans/Sabelt offerings. Any comments from people who have tried those options (particularly how short the waist straps adjust) would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Top advice from Elie - thanks!

Spoke to Steve at Luke on a Friday, sent him photos of my current harness and a description of the changes I wanted made to the new one. He called me back on the Monday and took the order. New harness arrived on the Wednesday. Fitted it today and it's spot on.

Stunning service from Luke Racing Systems *thumbup*.