Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Improved Lighting - LED driving lights

nickh7

Some years ago I converted my indicator pods to driving lamps to improve night vision , over the winter I've switched to some LED lamps which although are sold as DRL's give a great spread and improve the overall amount of light . I run with headlights on during the day so didnt want the DRL function , the control box has 3 light settings so you can choose the level of output you require and this is where the big step up in lighting comes.

As they are adjustable I am sure you could run them as a supplement to headlights but I chose to have them come on with main beam only. 

They are 4 cree lamps the wiring was very straight forward as I'd done the hard work on the old lamps . The control box sits on the bulkhead under the dash with a power feed (fused)  off  main lighting wiring , the switch is driven from the main beam / flasher switches. Earth from one of the many earthing points under the dash.  I ran a wire from the under the dash along the loom through the headlamp brackets , the hardest part , the earth was taken off the headlamps. 

The fiddly part was getting the units secured through the side of the pods . the holes provided were to small so I drilled them slightly bigger tapped them and used bolts and anti vibration washers to hold them in place. 

large_IMG_1069.jpg.da84330639d9129a7b43cfda4d72ac78.jpglarge_IMG_1067.jpg.de2e10cf7629b2608412255e6dc3aa99.jpg

large_IMG_1070.jpg.5b81c20f47bac4e86f75f6d72bc5261d.jpg

The light is very white but the colour is adjustable via the control box 

large_IMG_1072.jpg.c39aa1a240dd519f18047a0546ebcd50.jpg

The spread is good with improved light in the short and mid distance , the longer range i s covered by the headlights and the super premium bulbs which have always given a good range 

I'll give a full update after some longer runs but so far so good 

They are now £40 but the quality is very good  with metal cases and good connectors, they are waterproof  as well making them ideal for the position on the 7 

https://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product-eng-5682-High-Quality-DRL-Daytime-Running-Lights-Round-4-LED-CREE-HQ-V28.html

large_eng_pl_High-Quality-DRL-Daytime-Running-Lights-Round-4-LED-CREE-HQ-V28-5682_2.jpg.518e515a63daad922d50beb12692f996.jpg

• Area Representative

Interesting Nick.  I had similar thoughts but didn't find the right solution (for me).  I have now installed LED indicators (Hella Mix & Match inner type) which are a really close size match to the OEM fittings.

My thoughts had drifted on to fitting lamps between radiator and grille.

As they only come on with main beam they are classed as driving lights so should be ok 

the control box does have a DRL setting that   Comes on with the ignition but I didn’t want that so I used the brighter of the two settings and wired it off the main beam switch