Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hi revs on idle

jrgibb72

Hi all,

RoadSport 150 on ITBs been out today, about an hour and a half, stopped for 30 mins at a cafe, then headed back. After covering about 80 mile the car would’nt drop below 3500 revs. Turned off the engine at lights, re started, the same. Clutch in and a few good blips of the throttle, the same.

Pulled over, turned off key out, tried putting key in position 2 and press the throttle through full travel a few times, turned on the same (that key 2 thing is the TPS reset on the Elise, just trying something). Stopped, lid off pushed the throttle linkage in the ITBs a few times and this sorted it for a few miles when it started again. Got home same procedure lid off pushed the throttle linkage a few times through full travel and wiggled the TPS wire and it tick over ok again - in the garage safely.

Any thoughts?? Thanks J 

i think that each of the components (pedal, cable, throttle) can get sticky and you need to look and disconnect until you've worked out which it is.

There's a known specific problem with some throttle bodies sticking because something is overtightened but I can't remember which are affected or the details: check the *archives or wait for an expert...

Jonathan

* ± "' :-)

Jonathan .... you are thinking of the plastic throttle body with a single butterfly. Overtightening the jubilee clip on the air filter can trap the butterfly. I would disconnect the cable both ends and check free movement of pedal ... inner cable and throttle body spindle. Also check balance of throttle bodies (do they work in pairs ?).

Hi Jason 

Is it a Sigma 150? (if not you can disregard all that I have posted below) 

The 150 should not have an air hose connected to the inlet - this was removed over the many version release by CC.   The final version had the MAP sensor open to the atmosphere, however a little hose on it to stop a direct hit from water killing the sensor isn't a bad shout. 

The Sigma 150 TPS doesn't have a reset via the ECU, it can only be set manually with access to the MBE Easymap software.   Even setting it with a multimeter does not guarantee that is the reading the ECU is seeing.    The Sigma 150 is very sensitive to this setting and a good ITB balance. 

Check the mechanical stuff first, cable, butterflys etc. then find someone with access to the diagnostic leads you need to see what the ECU is doing.    Sensors do fail on Sigmas and the results can be strange. 

again this is all 150 Sigma related, just in case its a K. 

Chris.

Chris - you helped me setup my car remember :-) The balance was out not on the pairs but between the front two TB's, the TPS was at the right voltage - since your setup the car is still starting up first pull and ticking over nicely. 

Will be checking all the physical bits first, this all happened after a long run with car running for 2 hours plus, may be something sticking as everything was probably a little hotter than normal after such a long run. Going to start at the throttle pedal and work forward - thanks J

How could I forget, yours was the only "early" 150 design I have ever seen, with the air bled screws under the fuel rail.  

Mechanical is my guess, but each time you stopped and started again you will have reset the lambda sensor warm up sequence.  It's possible the lambda sensor has gone, they are not known for their reliability.