Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Garage Space in South Manchester

RyCliff

Had a quick look on there earlier and not much. Appears that yesterday somebody put up a tired looking garage with lighting and electrics for £200/month. Is it just me or is that a bit of an ambitious asking price? 

Is this for the 7?  Temporary or longer term?  If short term, Id be asking on here to borrow some garage or barn space.  I need to store my 7 away from home for a couple of weeks potentially while we move house hopefully late April-May to free up the garage and get rid one more logistic hurdle.  

I've just found this if its temporary storage you're after in Cheetham Hill  http://www.lancashirecarstorage.co.uk/

Hi Tom,

Looking at longer term, I don't think we'll get around to building a garage at our new house in the next 18 months at least and putting it into hibernation 150 miles away for over half of the year is starting to get irritating to say the least.

The prices at the Cheetham Hill site confirm that £200/month is steep for long term!

Hmm tricky.  Have you off road parking at your house?  Could a decent cover system, car port or one of those temporary tend-like garages work until you get a proper one built?  My 7 lived under a fleece and waterproof covers, in a car port for 6 years in my first house.  It hasn't done it any harm.  All my tools lived in a corner of the kitchen so they didn't go grotty in the damp.  In many ways I think Id rather have it at home where I could keep an eye on it.  Rather than once a couple of weeks. 

We've got a decent sized driveway so there's potential to get a car port built,  not until much later on this year due to the order of home improvements (driveway is still lawned, hopefully gravelled in the spring time).

Tom are you still staying local to LADS with the house move? I managed to make it up for the monthly meeting February but missed this month.

Yes, we are planning on moving to Ramsbottom area.  With a garage *thumb_up*  Accommodating toy cars can be tricky at times.  Do you have to park it on grass at home?  That's probably not ideal.  Get the drive gravelled, then put up a temporary tent garage/ cover in the meantime lock for a lock up. 

Tongue half in cheek - a shipping container? Youd have to ask the planning authorities what they would think of a shipping container as a temporary garage stored at the side of your house! I bet they don't cost too much to rent.      

Edit - maybe not https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1264026

A wooden garage can be bought for a couple fo grand, excluding the slab.  I looked at this during house buying considerations.

• Area Representative

How about a covered trailer on the drive or parked in caravan secure storage? 

Dave Morris is selling a very lightly used one and you can sell it on when you have a garage and get most/all of your money back 

Interesting idea Nick, if stored on the drive is a car in a covered trailer secure? I'd probably have it blocked in for much of the time to get around security anyway.

Car is in a nice warm garage for its hibernation at the moment, where it'll stay until we get the driveway sorted as I don't want to leave it on the grass. I've seen some heavy duty temporary garages which appear to be giant tents, maybe one of these on the gravel drive is a temporary storage means. Not sure about one over the winter months.

Glad to hear you're staying in the area Tom, and with a garage!!