Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tacho shift light for Low oil pressure warning

mcerbm

I have the ACES shift up lights on my car and the built in tacho change up light is currently redundant. Its not programed to come on in my Emerald currently.

It is bright when it comes on and with a bit of testing it seems it works by being earthed to come on.

How do low oil pressure senders work? If I hooked up a low oil pressure sender does the sender go to earth when it reaches the "alert"? i.e. could I hook it up to the tacho light as a neat install without drilling into the carbon dash.

How do low oil pressure senders work? If I hooked up a low oil pressure sender does the sender go to earth when it reaches the "alert"?

That should work with the right type of sender. Previous discussions.

Presumably the senders have a nominal pressure at which they switch, and that might differ between senders.

Have you decided where you'd like to put it? I think some have used T pieces.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

I think my pressure switch may be broken. I had the car warmed up, oil at 75 degrees c / 40psi. I couldnt get the dash light to go out. I had the adjustment screw fully in and out.

One spade goes to earth the other goes to the tacho shift light.

I checked with the multi meter and the resistance from chassis earth to one spade is 0.2 ohms and I cant get it to rise. Am I understanding this correctly? the tacho shift light I am using I presume was an ECU switched earth. The pressure switch should go to earth when the oil pressure is too low, which is adjustable by a screw.

I can't remember the details but when I looked at this for my VVC I found that the LED operates in an opposite way to what was ideally needed. The only way I could see to make it work was by inserting a relay somewhere. Basically the relay would convert a closed circuit to an open one or visa versa. I gave up on the idea.