Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Installing S-type Seats/Muppet with a spanner

Julian Bradley

If I have got the following in the wrong order, I hope someone will tell me! It'll probably be hilariously straightforward, but I'm a novice with a rivet gun and get the heebie-geebies putting holes in my toy.

I'm installing 2nd-hand leather S-types next week (latest version), replacing my old cloth jobbies (already out). As the runners will rest on the floor & not chassis rails, I have also bought the aluminium strips that go under the car - received wisdom suggests these have some use. I haven't even bought the axle stands, rivet gun or bolts, but figure I'll save at least £three figures at Ratrace doing it myself.

I plan to:-

(a) mark out the holes from the runners for the bolt holes (10mm drill bit req , I think),

(b) take the seat away,

© bolt on the under-floor ali strips drill through the holes 3 ml or 4ml from underneath, using main 10 ml bolts to hold strip in place

(d) rivet through said 3ml or 4ml holes from underneath

(e) bolt on the seats (stainless steel, with washers either side).

And is there any merit in tilting the seat back much - say by loading the front bolts with washers. I'm 5'11", but am putting in brooklands screens next month.....

Is this the logical way? I reckon (e) will be the trickiest and require a friend to get in the car and hold the bolt on the inside.

(Oh, and the car is a 4 speed la X flow).

I took mine out last night to replace with nice new C/F Tillets. You've basically got it spot on.

It may seem a little daunting at first but is actually very simple.

You will need a hand on the bolts at the back of the runners but should be able to reach to hold bolt / turn nut on the front of the runners on your own.

I guess whether you tilt the seat back depends on your head height relative to the roll-over bar. MSA rules state top of head should be 50mm from bar with helmet. Remember most helmets add at least an inch to head height. Get someone to check whilst you sit in the car - don't cheat, this is a pretty important safety issue - especially if you read JonSmith's Chit-Chat thread about inverting a Seven ☹️ ☹️ If you are tilting I would be inclined to leave the runners flat along the floor for strength and put washers between the seat and the runners to tilt.

Edited by - paulyb on 28 Feb 2003 18:20:12