Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rockingham - Novices trackday (Monday 23rd April) - CLOSING FOR NEW BOOKINGS THIS WEEKEND....

Shortshift

• Leadership Team

Update as of 12th April:  I will be closing this event for new bookings this coming weekend (14th / 15th April) - so best be quick if you want a place on this year's Novices Event!

Exciting news - our much awaited Novices Trackday, scheduled to take place on Monday 23rd April on the National Circuit at Rockingham Speedway in Northamptonshire, is now open for booking!  Places are limited so we recommend early booking - using the booking form here.

This event promises to be very special - offering novices and newcomers the opportunity to get on track in a supportive, welcoming and safe environment provided by the Club and by Rockingham.  Building on last year's very successful event, we have arranged another highly structured day for a limited number of participants, with extended briefing sessions, pre-allocated instruction slots, restricted numbers of cars on circuit at any one time, and progressing from session running to controlled Open Pit Lane operation during the day.  Just the ticket for getting on track, getting experience and gaining confidence for further trackday events on our calendar.

As I say, places are limited - don't delay!

James

• Leadership Team

Hi Doctor

Absolutely - the whole point of the novices day is that it is for, well... novices!   So we don't expect any prior experience (although it doesn't matter if you do have seem previous form and just want a refresher) - whether at Rockingham or anywhere else. 

We've chosen Rockingham because it is an excellent facility for this type of event, and because it's quite centrally located to help Club members to get there from all around the country.

Come on down!

James

Hi James, 

just to reiterate. I have plenty of previous experience, since 2015 I've done at least 3 track days a year with the club. And this is a novice day aimed at new members with the car to consider this type of activity and possibly stick with it. Don't you worry about  me, I'm sold. *thumb_up* The work is quite dense around that date, so let us see what could be done. 

Igor

• Leadership Team

Ah - sorry Igor; I didn't realise that this was you, using your Doctor nom de plume...

Regrettably, there's no way you can pass yourself off as a novice!  But there must be plenty of our other events that you'll be signing-up to...

We could always consider Rockingham for a 'normal' Club trackday in 2019...

Regards

James

• Leadership Team

Great stuff!

Rockingham have a limited supply of full-face helmets available to hire on a first-come, frst-served basis.  Please contact Will Thomas (our contact there and general top-chap) to get your name on one.  He's on: will.thomas@rockingham.co.uk

James

Just booked this (my first track day)! Woo hoo!!

I have got hold of some spare wheels (thanks again Tazio) which came with some decent looking AO32r's (185's) but I also have some CR 500's (185 and 205 rear). Both sets are age unknown, though at a guess would say the Yoko's are younger

Given the vagaries of the British weather, in the event of rain which would you suggest (will need to get the CR 500's swapped onto the rims and the Yoko's removed if CR's are the recommendation). Or, does my lack of track day skills and experience and the fact that both sets are used, age unknown and potentially past their best make it a moot point?

Ta

As for age of the the tyres there should be a date stamp on them. Don't know about CR500s but the yokos will have a 4 figure number in an oval. the first 2 numbers reflect the week number in the year and the last 2 numbers are the year of manufacture. eg 3014 = thirtieth week of 2014

Many thanks Aeroscreens, I'll check that out. Ignoring the lack of my driving ability and tyre age for a moment, any thoughts on the CR 500 Vs AO32's in the wet. If broadly similar think I'll just leave the Yoko's on the rims for the time being (I know it's somewhat academic as I'm not going to be pushing on too much, just want to be as prepared as I can be)

My Father and I are booked on, will also be at the Social the night before. Looking forwards to it, it'll be a culmination of 20 years of dreaming, saving, preparing, building (and now driving) a Seven.

In terms of facilities at the track will we be in the garages or outside? Just thinking of what to bring and pack.

• Leadership Team

Looking forward to meeting you both - it will be a cracking day.

We will be starting inside for the signing-on session and extended briefing.  If the weather is fine then we intend to base ourselves (well, the cars...) outside - there is a method to our madness that will become clear on the day!  So a warm jacket might be useful, just in case...

James

• Leadership Team

There's nothing at all to worry about...  And don't forget that I will be issuing some comprehensive 'Final Instructions' around seven to ten days ahead of the event. 

If it's anything like last year, it will be hugely enjoyable!

James

James, for the track day I'll got myself a cheap set of wheels with some 185 Yoko AO32's on. I've also got some CR 500's (tyres no rims) which are 185 front and 205 rear. Both sets of tyres are worn and age unknown but both would be very legal in terms of tread depth. Any recommendations on which would be better for a first track day (and maybe wet given the British weather). My car has Khumo V70a's on (175 and 235) but want to protect those tyres and rims. Appreciate its a bit of a daft question as I'll be far more ability constrained than tyres, but want to prepare as best I can?