Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedometer dash light inop

Rex

My speedometer works OK but it no longer lights up at night. I'm not sure how to get to the bulb and change it. I am as old as dirt and the last time I loosened the screws to lower it I could not see the back of it without SWMBO helping me with a mirror and a flashlight. Since she just had major back surgery I think I had better not ask for her help this time. I don't really want to disconnect the whole speedometer, since I have had calibration problems with it in the past. If this requires replacing the speedometer, I don't think it would be worth it since I almost never drive it at night. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Assuming it's the lamp that has failed...

Ordinary dash with separate round instruments? Illumination of all other instruments OK?

The lampholder probably pulls out from the back of the instrument (towards the front of the car)... but I don't know all the variations on this. You can probably do that by feel alone, finding the lampholder by knowing that it has at least one wire attached to it and is probably off-centre of the instrument.

But if you can't then you can release the instrument from the dash without disconnecting anything. Unless it's a very modern type you need to undo two knurled nuts using a finger and thumb in order to release the bracket which holds it against the dash. Something like this:

http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2015/07/1965-chevrolet-c10-finger-tightening-nuts-onto-retaining-brackets.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&fit=around%7C596%3A372

Then when you can see the back remove the lampholder from the instrument.

Once the lampholder is free you can see and remove the lamp. I don't know how many types there are but we can identify it if you can find a number or post a picture of it here. Or you can take it to a shop.

Assembly is the reverse...

Jonathan

PS: You can get lamps of different colours and/ or replace them with LEDs...

Take a photo of the back of it with a mobile phone with flash on. As we discovered last week ... the latest speedo has a round collar that unscrews rather than a goalpost and knurled retainers on studs.. once you remove that rubber bung you should find a black bayonet fitting that you turn 1/8 turn and pull out. Then replace the tiny bulb in it. Easy job. You may even be able to do it without removing the speedo from the dash. If you do need to release it ... there may be enough slack in the cable to get the speedo through the dash without unplugging it. Otherwise ... No problem to unplug it ... you won't lose the calibration.

OK, I have loosened up the speedometer and there is a large round rubber bong and there is an electrical plug with three wires attached to it. I've pulled pretty hard on that but cannot get it to come out. I could try grabbing it with a small visegrip, but I sure don't want to break anything. There is no individual plug with one wire attached to it. I've pulled the rubber bung off and there is nothing in there but four little switches.

... and there is an electrical plug with three wires attached to it.

Sounds a bit different from mine. Does it look like the picture in #5?

And are there any other wires connected to the instrument anywhere?

Jonathan

PS: I suspect that there's a little tongue to free the plug.

What does the potentiometer  look like? It's very hard for me to see in there, although I can feel the switches. If there's  a black bulb holder in there, I can't see it. Maybe I should spray some WD40 on the three wired switch and try to pull it out and disconnect it with a vise grip so I can get the speedometer completely unhooked--then I should be able to see what I'm doing.

I might have a photo in the archives ... potentiometer is a tiny PCB mounted unit. Have you removed the rubber grommet ... the lamp holder is the biggest thing in there .... twist it a few degrees anti clockwise and it should come out with the tiny bulb (286 ?)

I finally got the speedometer out. The black bulbholder is missing. There is just a hole there, so I am assuming the bulb and holder must have fallen out at some point. Looked all over but can't find it. I am now heading to the autoparts with the speedometer and a picture of what the bulb and holder should look like.  Thanks for all the help guys-I haven't given up.

• 2 months later...