Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine removal - K-Series

GPBox

Hi all, have cleared the engine 'bay' ...exhaust/wiring etc to remove engine....looks like the bolts to secure bell housing to block are pretty accessible..

all I want to do is swap the flywheel for a lightweight...plus CRB etc..

Is it easier to leave gearbox in car and have the 'challenge' of realigning the g'box to engine with g'box still in car on reinstall ? or take it all out in one go ?

also spotted the helpful advice of using 'lifting eyes' vs straps under engine...anyone know where the lifting eyes can be purchased ?

cheers. Graham

Shaun's Guide.

Have you got a balance bar to adjust the pitch angle?

... anyone know where the lifting eyes can be purchased ?

With a bit of luck you'll be able to borrow those from someone who has completed a build.

Is it easier to leave gearbox in car and have the 'challenge' of realigning the g'box to engine with g'box still in car on reinstall ? or take it all out in one go ?

Previous discussion.

Jonathan

• Leadership Team

Leave the gearbox in, support it with a trolley jack so you can easily alter the height when you drop the engine back in. A lifting strap is fine with the k-series, run it pretty well central to the block and it'll balance fine. I've never had a need for lifting eyes or an engine leveller, the engine's fairly light even with most bits bolted on so is easy to tip by hand. Don't forget you'll need to align the clutch pressure plate when you refit the clutch cover to your new flywheel, it's ideal if you can borrow an alignment tool. As an alternative I found a particular 10mm socket in my toolkit which combined with a short extension works 90% as well as the proper tool.

When you drop the engine back in make sure the gearbox is in neutral to allow the input shaft to easily rotate to mate the splines with the engine. Also, when the bellhousing and block are bolted up again, loosely fit the engine mounts to both the block and the chassis before tightening them fully. Double check you've refastened the earthing straps.

Stu.