Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500K carbon airbox kit - nose cone modifications?

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Following my daughters venture into the undergrowth at Curborough I've decided to relocate the intake for my R500 airbox in the raised position as per Caterham's later fitment instructions, positioning it above the lower chassis tube and necessitating a cutout in the lower section of the nose cone to allow air in. The original fitment was below the chassis tube making it somewhat exposed. 

I have a scanned copy of the Caterham provided fitment instructions complete with template for the cutout, although the dimensions on the template are not actual size to the template, I believe the original template may have been on A3 paper, mine is now A4. I've transferred the details to my spare nose cone and my first thoughts are that the cutout is MASSIVE!!! Overall dimensions are 345mm x 100mm.

Has anyone done this same fitment with the R500 airbox kit? Was there enough strength left in the nosecone lower with such a large cutout hole? Or does it realistically need some reinforcing particularly along the bottom edge?

Stu.

For information, the original fitment position ...

yJILXLG.jpg?1

The planned cutout (spare carbon nose, the car's obviously not yellow!) ...

Pn4G2By.jpg?1

Maybe I should keep her out of the driving seat ....

vW4WesN.jpg?1

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Thanks for the reply David. The R500K intake was made by Reverie, it’s a really tidy install but a little exposed in my current configuration. I’m happy with the intake relocated higher just unsure whether or not I’ll be overdoing the hole in the nose cone.

Stu.

Stu

When I had my R500K and was looking to reduce Induction noise I fitted a Bernard Scouse airbox and K&N cone airfilter. The advantage was I could easily switch between the airbox and the standard sausage filter as it uses the same backplate, zeus fasteners and no need for a bonnet cut out or nose cone mobification. It was also cheaper, had limited impact on engine power and did not restrict access.

Airbox1.jpg.bc28fd176c94468d0cd2fb67ee8720be.jpg

• Leadership Team

Cheers Mark. Another local R500 owner is also going to check the size of their intake cutout, it'll be interesting to see whether there's much variation. I'm planning to cut a hole anyway and fit a suitable grill. I can decide later whether to retain all the ducting, the car's going to be repainted so better to do all the work now.

The setup as it stands is ideal for getting a cold air feed but I was already aware of the bag-of-cement issue - coincidentally I hit one many years ago in my previous Caterham but in North Wales, it's not just motorways that get builders drop-offs!

Slipper Man - did you run with just the 4 way diffuser still fitted?

Stu.

Stu - yes. I have been trying to find a picture of mine but failed. It made no difference I could detect either on road or track and the other benefit of access to the front of the engine was the clincher for me (though I retained all the gubbins for when I sold the car)

One upgrade Caterham did to mine was to move the inlet air temp sensor from inside the airbox to the inside of the diffuser. That way it is upstream of the air filter so if it comes loose it doesn't get swallowed by the engine with expensive consequences

• Leadership Team

Mine's already in the diffuser but during a recent chassis setup the comment was made that it would give a more accurate signal in the air box itself! I have drillings for either and was planning to move it.

DON'T MOVE IT!! If it comes loose and it is in the other position the first you will know about it is a big BANG, followed by bits of pistons flying all over the place. Ask Richard Ince... It was undoubtedly moved for that reason. The car isn't all that sensitive to air temp it seems as I ran mine for quite a while not knowing that the wire to the sensor was broken, so the car thought it was 10 deg all the time.