Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Durable Dot Popper Rivet Size

revilla

Thanks Jim. I wanted to check before drilling some popper rivets out of a windscreen frame. In the end I just used a larger drill to take the heads off and punched them through. The holes seem to be larger than 3/32" though. I've tried some drill bits in them and they look like 3.2mm so I suppose probably 1/8".

• Area Representative

'Normally 5/32"

when refitting, make sure to use countersunk head rivets (or there won't be enough space for the two parts to snap together......). Additionally, make sure the nose of the pop rivet setter will fit inside the cup of the base, or the bases won't be securely fixed.

Thanks Richard. Oddly that's two sizes suggested and mine are neither! This is a standard SV Windscreen frame. I've now removed the poppers and rivets. 5/32" is 3.97mm. A 3.5mm drill bit will definitely not pass through the holes in the frame. A 3.2mm drill bit is a snug fit.

Re Richard's point, it may be worth mentioning that many standard rivet gun heads do not fit fully into the popper base 100%.  When the rivet shank breaks off you can end up with the popper base being rivetted but loose against the window frame.  Perhaps try a test with your gun and a popper beforehand.  I had to get my gun head modified in a lathe to fit the poppers.