Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spring washers for Sierra diff / prop bolts

Molecular--Bob

Yes, the blue coating is simply blue threadlock - low hold stuff.

Spring washers spread under load, especially cheap ones, so I don't tend to use them. 

If you really want a shakeprrof washer, use a Nordlock washer - but don't blame me when you can't get them undone when you need to - they really do hold on tight!

if one is using inferior parts you can't expect it performs as a quality item. Tread lock has 2 potential problems, 1 is that often the wrong tread lock is used, other too strong or not strong enough and second if you undo a bolt with tread lock you need to clean the bolt and the flange of old tread lock and this is something often not done properly. and last with tread lock a bolt will be resisted until the very last tread comes out, not so with a washer. 

with tread lock a bolt will be resisted until the very last tread comes out, not so with a washer. 

That's just what I want for a propshaft. Should the bolts come loose there'd be a lot of vibration to catch my attention before it's to late.

Sitting next to a unsecured propshaft is unhealthy. ISTR somehting about one that gave up the ghost; even the seats were destroyed. Fortunately the driver was not, but I think that was more a question of luck.

Extract from the above paper.....

Wk washers The typical helical spring washer shown in figure 14 is made of slightly trapezoidal wire formed into a helix of one coil so that the free height is approximately twice the thickness of the washer cross section. They are usually made of hardened carbon steel, but they are also available in aluminum, silicon, brome, phosphor-bronze, stainless steel, and K-Monel. The lockwasher serves as a spring while the bolt is being tightened. However, the washer is normally flat by the time the bolt is fully torqued. At this time it is equivalent to a solid flat washer, and its locking ability is nonexistent. In summary, a Iockwasher of this type is useless for locking.

Yep - good for finger tight and a bit, not much cop for anything requiring torquing up correctly.

Any washer (other than the nordlock I mentioned earlier) acts as a nice bearing surface to allow things to undo.  I only specify them if I need to spread the load.

25 yrs in engineering design, involved in automotive, aerospace, military and currently sat on my bum in Houston after another good days work, I stopped specifing and using them 22yrs ago.

If I need an anti-vibration washer in general engineering, nordlock get my vote. But on a propshaft - blue loctite.  Even if Heinkel are still to get back to me about the results of a second graduate interview 27 yrs ago . . . ;-)