Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tips on removing cycle wings from stays

TomB

I've bought a pair of lowered race wing stays to neaten up the front end with CR500 tyres. I intend to reuse my current GRP cycle wings that are firmly bonded on with sikaflex or similar, provided I can remove them and the glue.

Any suggestions how I can do this? I was wondering about one of those wire saws that hunting/ survivalist nutters might use, drawn between the stay and the wing.

Any thoughts?

Fortunately I haven't got side repeaters on the wings!!!  I need to be able to get the old glue off the underside of the wing to allow as clean a surface as possible for the new glue, without damaging or marking teh visible side of the wing. 

When you are ready to attach new wings ... clean inside of them with acetone (nail varnish remover). Keep it away from outside surface. If you are uncertain about the powder coating on the wing stays ... remove it with emery and repaint with Smoothrite. Allow to dry before reattaching wing.

Tom if you are replacing the existing wing stays and if you don't have side repeaters it sounds like unsticking the wings from the stays can be done on a bench.  This would make the Stanley Knife option possible as I'd guess you don't want to stress the wings and risk crazing the fibre glass which could happen with a saw. Are you considering removing the stays and wings intact, and working from the bench.  Re the new stays, I'm a fan of BigHead fixings mainly as it makes future serviceability of the wings a no brainer.

I’ve ordered a wire saw from eBay for £2. I’m thinking that removing them while on the car will be easier as they won’t move, nor will I risk marking the old stays by holding in a vice.  I think/ hope I’ll be able to slide the wire between the stay and wing and cut through the mastic. Then I can shave off the rest with a knife. 

• Area Representative

On the subject of attaching wings to the new stays I would suggest keying the contact surfaces of the stays with the edge of a 3 square file (triangular).........I know, that lovely powder coating ruined but it will give the adhesive something to grip to. I would suggest roughing up the contact area on the wings as well. If the keying on the stays is inside the contact area there should be no possibility of corrosion forming.

These actions will prevent the 'fly a way wing syndrome' at some stage in the future!!