Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Pipe Flaring Tool

KenEvans

I'm putting in a pressure limiting valve and bought a cheap and nasty Sealey pipe flaring kit since I thought it might be good for the very occasional flaring job. Wrong! It makes a very strange shaped flare and the bit of the die that goes into the pipe snapped off - and a second time in the replacement kit!

So I think I'll hire a quality one unless somebody knows of an inexpensive flaring tool that can be used in situ and is robust. Any ideas please?

Ken

If you've been trying to use a standard brake pipe flaring tool on the Westfield supplied pipe then I'm not surprised the tool broke. Most flaring tools are designed for use only on copper, or copper based (i.e. Cunifer) pipes which are much softer (and more expensive) than factory supplied mild steel pipes. Sadly I think you will struggle without a hydraulic flaring tool.

HTH

Regards all

Richard

Thanks Richard - it's a Caterham, my comment related to the fact that Westfield owners/builders are more involved in brake pipe fabrication.

Presumably then Caterhams also have mild steel pipes hence the difficulty in getting a decent flare ☹️

Edited to say they look very much like copper to me!

Edited by - kenevans on 28 Feb 2003 13:57:29

• 2 weeks later...

I've a Draper one from the local motor factors, cheap, has been used loads of times without failure

the dies are very strong - but only in one direction, any lateral force and they tend to snap - you need to have the pipe cut straight to achieve this