Click here if you are having website access problems ×

k-series air temp sensor re-location

mcerbm

I have a Titan PTP type induction on my VHPD and the air temp sensor is located in cylinder #4 throttle body. I run an emerald and as far as I can tell it doesn't really adjust very much to adjustments in temp. I know this as in the location it is mounted there is a lot of heat soak when I look at the ECU air temp reading on a laptop with emerald software. It can get up over 70c if idling hot. quick blast of the throttle and it cools as air rushes over it.

However it does sit in the way of the airflow and cause an obstruction. So in the interest of a cleaner air flow intro the ported head I have removed it and blanked it off. I still want to retain the sensor though and I have seen posts relocating the air temp sensor from the back plate because of heat soak.

My first choice is to use the back plate as heat soak must be reduced from my original position, and there is a location having removed the IACV that I could mount it. I haven't seen any definitive suggestions where to mount the sensor if its not on the back plate though.

• 2 months later...

/sites/default/files/images/users/1260/IMG_0949.jpg

/sites/default/files/images/users/1260/IMG_0951.jpg

Decided on this in the end. No heat soak, is reaonsably sheltered, wiring loom can reach etc. Just made a bracket out of aluminum angle and fitted it.

I wouldnt have thought it would need a remap, the heat soak sets in when the car is idling and it creeps up quite dramatically. I think I saw about 70 degrees C outside ambient once in the old position looking at the emerald software. As soon as you blip the throttle the cool air rushing over the sensor brings the temps down quickly. The emerald seems to be less sensitive to ambient temps than the old MEMS ECU.

As it turns out I had a few other things done and the car needed a remap anyway. Ian - the car now reads a true outside temp and is unaffected by engine temps / heat soak. The main reason I moved it was to get a better airflow in my throttle bodies.

I see. So as you’ve had a few things done and a remap, you can’t  tell if on it’s own it’s worth doing? I’ve thought about it in the past, but not pursued it further - largely on the it’s not broken, don’t mess philosophy! 

If you have the air temp sender in cylinder #4 throttle body like mine was I would say it’s worth removing. If it’s in the backplate and you don’t have any issues at idle it’s probably not. 

As far as I could tell if the throttle is open anything above idle it should be reading correctly with the airflow over it. Only idle seems to let the air temp over read