Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine management light on - 125 Sigma 2011

thesimondavey

Hi all,

I hope one of you can help please?

I had my scuttle painted and had to remove the cut off switch from the panel. When I refitted the switch the engine management light was on. I disconnected the battery and check it all over and tightened up the bolts further as a bit loose and it went out. Started the 7 today and it’s back on again !!!

Check and all over etc again but still on?

Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks

Simon

The engine management light function on a UK Sigma car doesn’t work. 

An electrical  back feed to the tacho can illuminate the light dimly. To be honest it was probably always on, you just never noticed. 

The ODB will give you real time data but there is no fault log or code system in the car. 

There is a modification to sort this if it bothers you - speak to Ian at PT Sports Cars, they sorted mine after getting the detail from CC. 

Speak with CC or one of the good independent dealers, this is a well known issue. 

The odd thing is that it happens on some cars and not others. 

As I say, I had it on mine. 

Real time data can be obtained from the OBD port with Easymap but no fault codes although it might throw up a couple of dubious codes - this appears to not be unusual either. 

Have a look through past posts, this issue has been mentioned a few times. 

I suspect it's a difference between the engine and the chassis loom.  The fuel gauge is wired from the Tacho (Y198)   The connections from the fuel pump (and sender) are earthed in the engine loom, but are supplied from the chassis loom.

So supply is 

Ignition Switch N47 to Joint N54  to N54 Fuel Pump Relay to YG166 to YG166 Fuse to YG167  to YG167 to Inertia Switch YG168 to Fuel Pump

The next Connection to the Fuel Pump is the sender level (but there is a strange extra blanked wire that could be causing the problem)  

GB148 to Joint with GB149 and GB150  (GB150 goes to the Tacho),  (GB149 goes the engine loom through the large connector and back via a small connector to the chassis loom where is gets blanked)   

The next wire SG196 also goes to the large connector on the engine loom, and then to earth in the engine loom (BY51)

The final connection is B10 to earth.

If you have followed this so far you can see the Tacho is between the fuel gauge and the level sensor, and this sensor has two earths (engine and chassis) and a blanked off connection.

To prove this you could remove anything from either the fuel level or fuel pump circuits.  So that's inertia switch, relay, fuse or the pump from the fuel pump circuit or the fuel gauge. If the light goes out then earths (and that blanked off wire) is where I would look. 

Maybe someone local has a Sigma with this fault so I can dig deeper ;-) 

Unfortunately new MOT rules (2018) dictate Engine Check light is a fail.   Granted it says the light should come on and go off, I guess its easier to explain it has no engine check light if there is no light showing, than it is to try and explain its just a feed back loop lighting the light.   All depends on how this rule is going to be seen.   

In truth if the earth difference is the problem all its going to be is cleaning a few connections and making sure the engine has a good earth, not the end of the world, but that’s a big IF

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

a quick update.

As the 7 has been parked outside I decided to remove the Rev counter and put it in airing cupboard at home just encase it has got damn, can’t remember what led me to that. I have put it back in the car after a couple weeks in the warm and the light is no longer on, so fingers crossed it’s sorted, but will report back when I have completed further testing 

Thanks again to all who responded to my issue.

Kind regards 

Simon