Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wide track front for classic SE

allegro

• Area Representative

Allegro,

this was one of the reasons I sold my XFlow Classic and went to my current car! When I enquired at Caterham they first said no, then why bother and then possible but expensive! Presumably the last comment means a trip to Arch motors for some chassis modifications - so its a bit more that a simple swap over as on a de dion car!

Can't remember the chap's name in technical service at Caterham but basically he said the modification would only be worth it if the car was a de dion car with such a noticeable difference between the front and rear widths, on a live axle car he said that there wouldn't be much improvement ☹️

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

• Area Representative

Andy,

which is why James Whiting's Fireblade cars have a live axle and wide track front ssupension. We know how slow they are round the corners at Curborough!
😬 😬

Although presumably you are going this route as you have to have the chassis modded anyway! I wanted the option as a straight changeover (a la de dion cars) without having to have my car sorted by Arch at the time. What type of cost is expected for this work?

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Allegro,

I changed my 1997 Classic to widetrack about 3 years ago after having been told by Caterham that it couldn't be done. They know naff all!! It all now comes as a kit for pre 1996 suspension which is what the live axle cars have. It comprises new uprights, upper and lower wishbones, ARB and some brackets for the front upper wishbone forward mounts.

I have just fitted it on a live axle Blackbird engined car that I have just built as well. Go for it *wink* *wink*

Barry

Allegro,

I was thinking of converting my '90 live axled car to wide track and Caterham admitted I could do it but said why not buy a de-dion car. But Barry is right. As usual money no object as far as they were concerned. I already have the uprated front set up with the upper front wishbone so I am just uprating to dedion- top wishbones which are adjustable and with ball joints to fit the live axle vertical links.

Tony

Allegro

Barry is absolutely right (as always) the only bits that are missing on your chassis are the additional forward mounts for the top wishbone, I enquired about this at Caterham Midlands a couple of years ago and the answer was 'No Problem' they were going to braze (I think) the extra mounts on.

Graham

*confused* Competition Secretary *confused*

*cool* Lydden, Curborough, MIRA, Llandow, Loton Park, Curborough, Aintree...What more can you ask for? *cool*