Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Fluid

johnpbransfield

Some advice please. I am going to change the brake fluid in the not too distant future. I have some Comma Dot 4 ESP which I have had unopened for nearly two years. Expiry date is 3 years after production which will be April 2019......does this mean use it by then or will it be no good by then? Also it is ESP which is for cars with ABS! Didn't realise this when I bought it. Would it be OK to use on a car without ABS? Thanks in advance.

• Area Representative

Shelf life for the majority of synthetic automotive products is usually FIVE YEARS sealed.

The DOT 4 ESP is probably formulated for ABS systems though I am not sure how...maybe it is the non compressibility characteristics that are different. 

Considering that the recommended interval for the brake fluid change on a Seven is every two years this does not give you any margin.

Decision is yours but for the price of a bottle of standard DOT 4 with a much longer life I know what I would do.

I just bought Castrol dot 4 to change my brake fluid. Last time I used newly purchase Comma fluid and it has been fine. However, I noticed that while comma just seal the fluid with a normal screw cap, the Castrol fluid had a foil seal under the cap that had to be broken, so I would trust that more if I kept it for a year or two.

By the way, never use Carplan brake fluid, I had some that I had bought on holiday only a month before, and used it to change my clutch fluid. After a few weeks, I removed the cap to check the level and found crystals all over the cap and the fluid looking very cloudy. I changed it immediately with some Comma fluid and I find it looks much better after a year than the Carplan did after weeks, and have never had the crystals again.

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...