Click here if you are having website access problems ×

0-8500 Tachometer Recommendation?

rgrigsby

Just wondering if anyone out there had any recommendations for a standard 800mm tachometer to replace my current one. The new engine is going to rev to over 8000rpm and my current tacho only has 7000rpm on it. As much as I'd love to get a Stack ST700 or something along those lines I think I'm probably looking for something a bit cheaper.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Rob - I have a spare standard caterham one that I think goes just over 8000 rpm you are welcome to try it?

as an alternative just get soem seqential shift lights say set tham at 500 rpm difference with a max of 8500 would give you a read out when at say 7000, 7500, 8000 and 8500

rob *smile*

I'm with Rob on this. As soon as Emerald finish the seq shift lights I'm blagging a set. They'll be cheaper than a tacho and more configurable. There's also no doubts about their accuracy either.

If I was to go for a new tacho, then it's have to be the Stack one although I wish they could offer one with NO additional functions (like tacho tell-tale) for a reduced price because the Emerald does that too.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

robmar,

I could be interested in 'trying' your 8K rev counter. Would you look to sell it?

My rev counter goes to 7K but the engine red lines around 7.5/8K. I've got a shift light set at 7K, but by the time I've seen it flash and changed gear, the rev counter is behaving a little odly!

Cheers,

Chris

Rob, if it helps I had a great stack unit

Clubmans ST200 with 0-4 small scale and 4-10 big scale.

It was c. 210 GBP ?

Engine will rev happily to 8500, although I found little point over 7500.

This is not too expensive and is a quality product.

Chris got mine for me by the way...

It was dead easy to fit, has tell-tale facility and also has a shift light - but you will have one anyway with the 3d - could have two lights one for shift up and one for rev limit ?

Anyway, hope this is of assistance

Rob

The stack st200 is the cheapest stepper motor tacho available.

This means that the needle is driven directly so that the needle shows the exact rpm when driven from a ecu feed.

Cheaper rev counter use a sprung needle which can waver and are at best approx on a quick revving engine

Dave