Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 speed first motion shaft too long?

p.mole1

My first motion shaft is too long?, the 1.4 crankshaft has a much longer drilling for the spigot bearing. I am trying to mate the gearbox to a 1.8 and it won't fit, the drilling for the spigot bearing is too short?.

It looks like I will need to remove at least 10mm maybe more. I haven't measured it accurately yet. Has anyone managed to do this with a grinder, I will also need to regrind a taper on the nose of the first motion shaft.

Thanks, the engine was originally from an Elise but the guy I bought it from was going to put it a 7 and had already done the sleeve and spigot bearing. I must admit to being nervous about attacking my gearbox with chop disc.

My car has been retro fitted with a light weight flywheel (1.4 SS) the clutch plate looks new and I was going to reuse this along with the pressure plate and new CRB. Will the pressure plate be able to cope with the larger capacity engine. The pressure plate has no manufacturers name just made in Great Britain and QY13000  and 2301 stamped on one of the springs

I used all the 1400 clutch components when I fitted an 1800 (the pressure plate is still fine 13 years and hundreds of hillclimb starts later).

Cutting the spigot is very straight forward, measure twice and wear eye protection.

Malcolm

edited to add, just in case you were unaware, the original 1400 LW flywheel from Caterham  (and original Rover item) has a different trigger pattern for the ECU. Not a problem if you are using a re-programmable ECU such as Emerald, but it won’t work with a later Rover ECU.

Thanks, first motion shaft cut and chamfered, I only needed to cut 10 mm off. I have bolted on the pressure plate, clutch and fitted the gearbox and all seems fine. I able to turn gearbox output shaft when in gear with clutch depressed so It seems I have enough clearance.