Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4Kss in bits - value?

Sheds Moderator

I have a 1.4 Kss in bits, a legacy of the previous owner sending it to Minister and then having a heart attack when they quoted the rebuild cost. He got it shipped back to discover that it really WAS in bits - as in completely stripped down. All the wearing bits and fastenings are gone.

I have this engine and need to move house soon. How many bits are worth keeping, and how many are just 1.4 Rover?

The camshafts and crank have suffered in a damp garage for a year or two, and are a little rusty. Hopw much they would polish out is anyone's guess. Is this wise? I would like to keep some spares for my 1.4ss, the rest I may put on NtL or bin.

I'd be most interested in the Idle Air control valve and throttle body/throttle sensor, for a fee of course............On my 57K mile 1.4SS the IACV keeps sticking and I'm getting uneven idle. I also have a plastic throttle body (which distorts over time if the air filter is overtightened) which is sticking and that leads to a rolling idle.

Any chance you have these parts as spare and are willing to part with them?

Dunno how many of the Cat specific bits I want to sell just now. Essentially I'm reducing the volume prior to the house move and I'm keener to dispose of Rover original stuff like the block since it is unlikely I will ever use it. If I ever need a block I'll buy a s/h K1.4 and rip the head off, after all. I'll have a think over the next couple of days, get my home PC fixed, then drop you a line. Hope this is OK.

I'm assuming you already have another engine in your car. I'm sure someone can comment on what the cam profile is and this can be obtained from Piper or others.

A 1.4SS engine would be worth about £500 in complete form. It may be best to keep the bits you want and put the rest up for sale.

One car - 1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

Well I can give you some details/pointers. I have in my time sold a complete running 1400 SS engine (RR'd at 133bhp) with full loom, SS ECU, alternator and got £600. Running really well but I lusted after an 1800 DVA type engine.

I also bought a 1400 road engine (from a Metro) for 'playing with that had a bent rod but lots of good nuts, bolts, IACV, water pump etc etc for £15, yes £15. This came from the N the L site of Blat Chat. *thumbup*